Saturday, July 3, 2010

An eventful Saturday.

First things first: errands followed by a small, local hike.

First stop: Farmer's market! The farmer's market runs May through October here every Saturday but I haven't made it to the market yet. (As a sidenote, there are quite a few farmer's markets in various pockets of Seattle that run on all different days of the week but I usually go to the one in Redmond...on Saturdays). I was SUPER excited about this stop.

Since it was a holiday weekend, I wasn't able to take Bella out to her favorite place so we had her for the day. She stayed in the car since she would have been ballistic on this stop from the smells, other dogs, etc. And she probably would have at least taken one crap in the middle of the crowd. Not cool. So she waited for us. By the way, doesn't it look like summer here?? (Sarcasm)

And, after arriving home: some of the loot included potatoes...

Baby carrots...

Cucumber and garlic....

GIANT sized snap peas...

And bing cherries. I also got strawberries, cilantro, kale, broccoli, and tomatoes that weren't shown above. All were organic and locally grown. SO GOOD. There is really nothing like fresh produce. After the farmers market we made a quick stop at REI for some socks to go in the crazy toe shoes (see here), Victoria's secret since we were close to it and I had a gift certificate that I hadn't used since, oh, Christmas, Whole foods for some other staples, and the library. Ok, let's just get it out there that I am NOT a major shopper...most of the time. There are exceptions to this but when I want to get a hike in? NOT a major shopper. I am in and out and done. So this whole trip from point a (farmer's market) to point b (library)? Took less than 2 hours. About an hour and a half actually. GUESS WHO IS A BAD, BAD DOG?

Let's just say that the above is one library book that won't be going back to the library. She actually gets tied up in the back of the car to avoid eating the car (because she is an energy ball that doesn't know how to control her boredom after 2.5 seconds) but this time, she had JUST enough give to jump over the seat and snack on a 600 page book. To say I was slightly annoyed would not be accurate. Infuriated might be a better word. I mean, we are talking about a TWO YEAR OLD dog here who a) knows better and b) ran her ass off the day before so waiting patiently for 1.5 hours in the car (at the time of the book eating it was 45 minutes!) shouldn't be a big deal!!! Oh, I was LIVID. I know, I know, it's just a book, but the whole principle of the thing just annoyed me... the whole idea that THIS is why I can never leave her home alone unless she is in a crate. I digress.
I eventually made it home and put everything away including my now MASSIVE stock of peanut butter. I really like peanut butter. Who doesn't?! After the slightly stressful morning and 5 poops/average of one poop an hour from the Dog Who Never Stops Shitting and Can't Stay Home Alone, we made it out to St Edwards park. It's a local "hike" which is really only part hiking and the rest is just a nice walk through the woods. We do two loops that are about 3.5 miles each and about .5 miles of each is actually HARD hiking straight up and out of the woods. We then finish off the workout by doing an extra two mile loop that mountain bikers in the area use. It's actually a really good workout and close, too, if we don't feel like going out to the mountains but want a little bit of a faux hike. ALTHOUGH. On this faux hike, I had a not so brilliant moment when I walked over a root and completely rolled my ankle. On the foot that has spent the better part of the past 11 months in physical therapy trying to heal. Awesome. It was definitely NOT cool. Hoping it doesn't turn out to be any sort of a set back or anything major. I was annoyed once again because, really? If I re-injure it, I at least want to have a cool war story! Not just some root on a little faux hike! Of course I kept hiking away after that. Stupid foot.
Once home, we made a giant farmer's market salad with veggie burgers. It was the perfect summer dinner and again, there is just nothing better than fresh veggies.

Later that night, I decided it would be a wise decision to break out the trusty ice pack after rolling the ankle. My foot has missed this long lost friend anyway.

No comments: