Friday, August 12, 2005

Some things I'll just never understand


Madden 2006 came out on Tuesday. 5 years ago this would have meant nothing to me. But every year at about this time we have to get the newest installation of Madden just like how in a few months we will go out to get the newest version of the baseball game. This makes ZERO sense to me. How much can a video game with the same name, same concept change in a year? But apparently new players are added and it's like the coolest thing ever. I swear, these days are like second Christmas' to Tim.

And the actual playing of the game would occur more than once a day if at all possible. But to keep my sanity, I really can't handle it. That may sound mean, but to me it makes me crazy listening to sports sounds and hearing Tim yell at the team and 'coach' his players knowing that they are FICTIONAL. They are cartoons. Hello? Is this not a little weird to anyone else? I know it's not because some of my other guy friends also have this habit. I just don't understand it.

This ranks right up there with fantasy baseball and fantasy football leagues. These things are really confusing. They never end. And there are multiple leagues. And live drafts. And trades. And the never ending checking the status of the team. And when the drafts occur there are multiple tables with 'draft notes.' And endless chattering to the wife who needs a sports dictionary to even being to comprehend 1% what you are saying about what trade was made, what place you are in, how 'your' players did... Are you kidding me? I have tried to figure it out and figure it out. I mean, you would think that he is actually THE coach. When we went to the Diamondbacks game, he was excited to get to see how well HIS players would do and to scout out a couple of players he has his eye on for next year. I thought he was going to go ballistic when we were gone for a vacation and he couldn't check his teams OR play the video games.

You may think I'm exaggerating but I'm really not. He is nuts about this stuff. I guess it's good he has a hobby but I just don't get the obsession about it. And the hour long conversations he has with his friends or brothers ABOUT THESE FANTASY LEAGUES OR GAMES! COME ON!!
He knows I don't get it and we laugh about it...he's tried to explain it to me but still, nothing. I don't get it. I never will. Period.

I have come to accept the fact that to have a happy husband, I have to somehow support this and accept it as just part of him. So, I support it and I accept it, but I just really don't get it. Just try telling him it's fantasy... see what he says. It's not worth your time. He won't believe it. To him, it's real. And that's ok. It's a little strange but once you live with it every single day for five years straight, you kind of would wonder what's missing if it wasn't around. The hardest part for me is listening to him ramble and chatter about it for what seems like hours on end... but I've actually learned some sports people's names and I've learned that when he sounds like he's speaking some sort of Nigerian language or when he just sounds like a nutso because he's taken on his Mr. Coach role, I just nod my head and smile and he thinks I really care. And maybe I do SOMEWHAT. But just because HE seems to so much. I still think it's weird. And I'll never understand it. I'll just support his habit and call him Coach.

6 comments:

jon said...

NFL Blitz 2000 is the only football game anyone ever needs.

P1 said...

Nicely appointed apartment, by the way!

Yes, imagine if all of the mental effort that is devoted to these fictional pursuits by the thousands of fans of these games was directed toward some great social issue. We could solve global poverty, or cure diseases, or achieve national health care. Instead it is frittered away. Now, if only they would read novels the way I do and care about the fictional characters found there, then it would be different. Then it would be okay.

lee said...

i understand the frustration with madden. i don't get it, either. i can understand buying the new version every 3 or 4 years, but not every single year.

fantasy sports, on the other hand, is a true game of skill. think of it as a year-long chess match.

and tim is going down in football this year.

Anonymous said...

Hello.

Interesting blog of yours. I'm going to check back often!
I have a home loan related page
which pretty much covers home loan related stuff.

Visit if you get some time.

Anonymous said...

Almost as good as being there
Someday my husband and I will take our kids on a Disneyworld vacation ... Recent Entries Almost as good as being there (8/13/2005) FDA strengthens anti-pregnancy measures for Accutane (8/13/2005) And now this week's very best of the Weblogs, Inc.
You really know how to put together an awesome blog!

Please go ahead and check out my site on carpet cleaners. Its a comprehensive site on carpet cleaners and other related topics.

Keep smiling!

Jenn said...

what the crap were those last two comments? i really need to figure out how to get a 'real' blog and not one through blogger... if only i were more computer literate. Ugh.