Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Next time we'll just take her to the Ritz

Last Thursday night Tim and I got a little bit freaked out about our post surgery kitten, Emerson. (As an aside, for anyone who is getting sick of me talking about my cat(s), I apologize. A pet peeve of mine is people who go on and on and on about their animals. Another story entirely, but tell me if I am becoming too much like one of Those People). Anyway, she hadn't stopped leaving big splotches of blood all over our house which was somewhat disturbing. And to top it off, her stomach wound looked almost like it was gaping open. It was SO NASTY. Like I almost gagged nasty. And to think that at one point in my life I was a pre-med major...like serious enough about it that I almost went to a school known for medicine instead of Graceland... good thing one of my first med classes at GU was biology and I realized how much I hated it even though I loved chem classes... otherwise any of my to be patients would have a doctor that routinely passed out upon seeing something disturbing and that throws up and runs away upon seeing barf... and not to mention, I still would be in school and about $150,000 in school debt. ICK.

Right, so back to the story. We were worried about Em. So we decided to take her to the vet Friday morning and we would leave her there for the weekend just so that if something happened she wouldn't be all alone at our house. So, the vet got us in early Friday morning (and said that everything looked normal, by the way) and told us that they did have room for her lodging but we'd have to pay for Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday (since we couldn't pick her up until Monday after work). I asked how much it was for the weekend and they said $45. I didn't think this was too bad... a little more than I would've expected for a five pound cat that they just keep in a cage anyway, but still...it was worth our peace of minds.

Yesterday I scrambled up to the ritzy part of the east valley (scottsdale/fountain hills area) where our vet is after work. (Yes, it is on the complete opposite side of us. The reason they are our vet is because they do laser surgery for everything. Totally worth it). I was in a pretty good mood because Tim is the luckiest person I've ever met (for reasons I will post about later). But I was also a little irritated because we found out that the mini's tire can't be fixed. So not only do we have to replace the tires, which is expensive, but we have to carpool for AT LEAST another week.

When I got to the nicest vet's office I've ever seen (as mentioned in a prior post) the first thing the girls at the front desk said to me was "Emerson is the loudest kitten ever!!!" HUH? Was not aware of that. She is just clingy and needs a lot of play time, love, and attention. So, they brought her out and OMG was she loud. I've never heard her like this... but I can't imagine what I would do if I thought I'd been left at some weird place in a cage with strange people for 4 days. So, then they gave me the bill. Anyone want to take a guess?

TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS. I almost pissed in my pants. ALMOST.

Apparently, to board a FIVE POUND KITTEN, it is expensive. Although, I really think I could've just dropped her off at the Marriott and had a maid feed her every now and then... she would have had room to roam and it would have been just slightly more expensive.

Here was the breakout:
$50 to give her the post surgery medicines (apparently this takes a lot of effort...who's paying me? I would have made almost $400 from last week...I guess I'll just send an invoice to Tim).
$1o food
$145 boarding (apparently the $45 price they gave me is just for one day. I asked and they said it's $45 on the weekend, and $40 during the week. Thanks for clarifying. That would have been nice to know).

So, anyway, probably not ever doing that again. It was CRAZY. And last night the poor thing was just beside herself because she was so happy to be home. We couldn't walk anywhere, do anything because she wouldn't stop rubbing all over us. I have never heard a louder purr. So, she's happy to be home.

We had a really good weekend in Palm Springs and it was well worth it to know that she was ok while we were gone... so after the initial shock it was even $200 worth it. She is worth that much. But don't ask Tim how he feels about it... it might be a different story.

4 comments:

pablo said...

BTW - did you ever post that "disgusting" story you were going to relate? Did I miss it?

And you must post whatever this "Tim is the luckiest person in the world" story too.

Carol the cat lover! said...

Dr. Watson charges $13 a day to board Vanna, plus $3 for each shot they give her. My guess is it would have cost about $80 for the long weekend. Maybe you can find a new vet close to your new house. BUT, they are worth it at almost any price! (Just spent high four figures on our 10 year old cat!!) Ask Tim how great she is though, he used to feed her cantalope every day when he took care of her for us!!
(I guess this qualifies as an unending animal story doesn't it??!)

rachel said...

that cat is costing you so much money!

Jenn said...

tell me about it! it's nuts...oh well! she's a great cat regardles...