Saturday, August 20, 2005

I should be working...

but I'm not. I figure I need at least one day off this week, right? So, my procrastination will last until tomorrow until the very last minute. I'm thinking maybe 7 p.m. Besides, I was informed that Tim has a fantasy football draft so from 5:30 tomorrow night until about 10, I will be trying to keep myself out of the way of the fantasy mania.

So, since I've been slacking on this blog as well, here are some updates on my oh-so-exciting life (and yes, that is somewhat sarcastic):
- This week was nuts. I started my first 'official' audit. I really like what I will be doing! And I like the girl I've been working with. And I really like the fact that this audit is in the west valley...meaning less drive time. But it has also meant that I had to spend a few nights this week working at home and it means that I will spend tomorrow working some... but it's great, regardless! And, I got to leave early on friday... as in 2:30 p.m. early. So great. But, now I have to work tomorrow. I still think it was worth it, though.
- We figured out that our Mini tire can't be fixed. And to get one around here, it would take 1-2 weeks. Crazy. The dealer has them but they can sell them at the marked up price of $280. So we ordered it online and hope to get it fixed Monday.
- Tim had his huge presentation on Thursday night. He gave the whole thing to the Penn people with the president, CFO, and VP of operations (his boss) also in attendence. I would've been so nervous!! But apparently he did awesome (of course!) He said that they all kept saying how well he did and they took him out to dinner and now they want to put him in charge of another huge project that might require him taking a trip to Tennesee. I'm so proud of him! He is a good worker.
-Tim and I played golf this morning. It was fun! Kind of warm, but fun. We haven't played in a long time so we played a shorter course. We started off kind of shaky but ended up with an awesome par putt by Tim. It made me miss my family, but I have those days a lot.
- And the most exciting news is: Tim is the luckiest person on the face of this earth. I really am astounded by his luck. It's flat out amazing. So, a week or so ago I wrote about how we got onto this waiting list to buy a new house. Well, the housing market is so crazy out here that everyone is trying to buy. We went in last Sunday when we got back from Palm Springs and the house we liked had appreciated $30,000 since we had been in a week and a half before (I'm telling you, these houses are going through the roof right now). So we were kind of disappointed because this was an extra $30,000 without ANY options or upgrades. We talked to the people and they said that there would be a drawing/lottery type of thing in 2-4 weeks. Which means basically that our name goes into a hat along with 60 other names and if we're drawn, we can make an appointment to sign a contract. So, we went home and decided that in four weeks the house would be way too high above our price range. We decided we would go with a house that was slighly smaller, but a great starter house. It's 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, and 2200 square feet (the other was 2700 square feet so it's not really that big of a difference...)

Anyway, on Monday morning at 11 a.m. Tim got a call from the housing people and they drew our name! Jaws hit the floor. I couldn't believe our luck. I mean, four weeks out and we probably couldn't afford any house. So, we made an appointment for this Monday (the first available) and we went in today to see the smaller house, ask many questions and pick our lot! Well, the house had gone up another $5,000. And the guy told us that on Monday it was going up $2000 more. Tim was like "is that before or after we sign," just kind of kidding around...

THEN, Tim gets lucky AGAIN. After this family leaves (who is two houses down from where our potential house will be) he says "I just had an appointment cancel so do you guys want to do some initial stuff right now and we can lock the price in today and save you $2000?" And we were like, heck yeah! I mean this all sounds kind of rash and fast and crazy, but we have looked around and this is what we like best...as far as anything goes. We just need to get in. Otherwise we'll never be able to. And for all those people who keep saying the housing bubble is going to burst, SHUT UP. I don't care. In California, that is more likely to believe. But even there, it the house values aren't going to fall drastically, if they even fall. The houses just won't appreciate at 50-60%. They might just appreciate 5%. But wouldn't you take a 5% appreciation in your investment anyday? It's still equity and it's still ours, regardless of whether it continues to appreciate at 50% or whether it just appreciates 5%. So, that's all I have to say about that pet peeve of mine.

But, I am pretty excited. And scared. I mean this is a major, major scary juncture in our life. We are seriously going to be building a HOUSE. That is extremely humorous to me. I don't feel that old or really that responsible yet. But I know I am. These adventures of life changes and stepping stones are so fun. So, we will hopefully be in our house anytime from February-April. I'm realistic so I'm hoping by next June. We'll see. More updates to follow. Holy crap. This is so surreal.

3 comments:

Mom said...

We miss you too.

Kristyn said...

hey! ahh aren't stepping stones a blast? so, you'd think senior year of highschool would be fun, and i'd be all excited. jenn, i'm soo scared. i mean this summer i've been doing nothing but acting,singing and looking at colleges and trying to figure out what i want to do and what i want to major in and things like that. soo stressful. were you this freaked out? ah, the joys of growing up. :) i miss you! and you need to come visit soon!! <3 always, Kris

Jenn said...

oh yeah, i was totally that freaked out. I had no idea what I was going to do...just enjoy the time that you have now during your last year of high school and think about all of that stressful stuff later. Amazingly enough, it all seems to fall into place evenutally, as much as it seems like that won't happen now...