Thursday, August 11, 2005

Life in the fast lane

Tim and I have been carpooling the past few days due to the injury of the Mini. (We think we might have picked up a nail when we were looking at new homes). It has actually been really nice to ride to work together aside from the fact that 1) I am always late to work because even though Tim says he's ready when I am he's not really ready until 15 minutes AFTER we were supposed to walk out the door. Oh well, I don't mind this so much. 2) I have to wait on Tim every night when I pick him up. Last night I waited for 25 minutes. I guess I am learning patience, though. Maybe.... 3) I wish we were just carpooling because we wanted to and not because we have to fix a car. For ONE tire on the Mini, we will have to pay $260. We called our dealer guy in KC to see if this was right and he said that it was and that we should probably get TWO tires so that the car doesn't get messed up. So, with labor plus two new tires we are at like $550-$600. If your jaw just hit the floor, don't worry, so did mine. It just seems like a lot for two tires. I mean, our cat had her ovaries, uterus, and knuckles taken out by a laser for less than that and that is major surgery! And we are talking about tires here, people! I don't get it. I seriously thought a tire would be like $100-$150. Who knew? I think we are going to look into seeing if we can just get the dumb tire fixed so we don't have to buy two new tires... but I don't really care at this point. I just want the car fixed...

The best part of this whole deal, though, is being able to utilize the carpool lane! We flew in yesterday and today and bypassed so much traffic! Who knew that the drive on the 10 could actually be somewhat pleasurable? It's so awesome we might even consider carpooling even after the Mini is back in working order.

I really don't have anything exciting to say this week...obviously. I am not sure that I ever really say anything too exciting but I just flat out don't have anything to say this week. All I have done is work. And work. And work. And feed medicine to a cat too many times a day to count. And clean up her yucky blood (even more times than I give her medicine-who knew it would be this much work! But I'm not complaining...I just hope she is getting better). And work. And eat. And sleep. And then start the process again. It's been a relatively busy week for some reason but nothing too exciting that warrants writing about...

We are going to Palm Springs this weekend to meet Tim's family for his dad's 50th birthday. We are all renting a condo together so it should be loads of fun. I am excited!

OH WAIT. Oh holy crap! I just remembered that something exciting DID happen this week. We got onto a waiting list to build a new house!! I am SO excited... it's not like you just get put on a list... you have to get approved for a mortgage (the value of the house plus any options/upgrades you think you might make) and then they decide if they want to put you on their list...it was kind of a long and difficult process for something that really isn't binding at all but I guess that they don't want just anyone. So anyway, after all of that we learned that we might start the process of writing up a contract in 2-4 weeks. But that's all I'm going to say. I don't want to jinx it and then something falls through, so I won't say anything more about this house until we officially sign on the dotted line. Anything could happen so we're trying not to get our hopes up too much and we're still going to be looking around in the next few weeks so that we can make the best decision possible for us.

Another day, another random post. Heck yeah.

2 comments:

rachel said...

that is exciting! you had us holding out until the end to tell us the big news! i can't believe you guys are building a house. it all seems so fast! i know it will be fabulous, though. have fun with it all!

Jenn said...

i seriously forgot about it until the very end... if i had remembered i would have spared everyone my usual rambling. :) i was too lazy to erase everything i'd already written when i remembered, thus the scattered post... anyway, we will see what happens and hopefully everything will work out.