Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Blind as a bat...

Yesterday I went to the eye doctor. I've been thinking for about 6 months now that I SHOULD go but only in the last month have I realized that I really NEEDED to go. I haven't been in two years... (and for those last five words, I am sure I will get a lecture from my mother but not as big of a lecture as I will get for what's to follow...) In Iowa, I had eye insurance that was included with my health insurance. But of course I never used it. I was just too lazy to go and my contacts were working fine. So, here we don't have eye insurance included in our health insurance. So, yes mom, I just said that I DO NOT have eye insurance. GASP!

So, of course now that I don't have eye insurance I am cursed by the "If-you-don't-have-insurance-then-you're-going-to need-it-and-you'll-be-screwed" gods. This is similar to my $2000.00 dentist experience several months ago, $1100.00 of which I still have yet to pay. Ugh.

Back to the eyes. Lately, I have been so blind. I have changed my contacts repeatedly, which is highly unusual for me. They are 1-2 week contacts but usually I wear them for 2-3 months without problems. But lately, I haven't been able to see street signs until I'm right under them and squinting, everything has been a little blurry, I've had a lot of headaches and even been a little dizzy, and I couldn't even see the clock on the oven when I was standing by the sink (Tim could see it clearly from the other room). So, I decided to just go to the eye doctor and just suck up the expense. The timing on this is really bad, however, since we just signed away our lives the other day by SIGNING A CONTRACT TO BUILD A HOUSE. (and dropping $5000+ in the process for what they call 'earnest money' or what really is a small down payment...) More on this later.

I was really hoping nothing would be seriously wrong with my eyes like there was with my teeth as a result of two years time since seeing a doctor. I went and after the barrage of tests that eye doctors perform that make everyone feel like they are back in kindergarten ("1 or 2? 2 or 4? Is this better or is this?") my doctor says, "Do you have a backup pair of glasses? Because you really are as blind as a bat." Well duh. Why do you think I am here? Hmm...

So, to make a long, pointless story even longer, my eyes checked out fine but they had just gotten a lot worse (big surprise there...) But they had gotten a lot worse than I imagine- they went from a -5.00 to a -6.00 (the worst is about a -13). I also went home with a new pair of contacts. I am so amazed at how well I can see. It sounds so corny but it really is like a whole new world out here... I knew my eyes were bad but this is completely amazing. I am in total awe of how many more details I can see now! Much better ending than the dentist story...I am only out $350 but I don't care what it takes because I can finally see again!!

1 comment:

MOM said...

You never knew what it was like not to see before this because I took you to the eye doctor every year and he increased your lenses gradually. GASP!! Love, Mom