Sunday, October 26, 2014

Chicken curry soup.

In honor of the colder weather, I have been feeling like making a lot of soups lately. I've made my standard carrot/sweet potato/squash soup (AMAZING), but I also tried out this new soup. I'm not really sure what to call it- it was an adaptation of a chicken curry soup, but I didn't have probably half of the ingredients the recipe called for, so I made my own. So, I guess I'm still going to call it chicken curry soup.

It was the perfect mix paired with some quinoa (would probably also be delicious with rice). Highly recommend! (Excuse the horrible iphone photo).

 
Chicken vegetable curry
8-10 cups vegetable broth*
3-5 bay leaves*
3 chicken breasts
5 stalks celery*
3-5 good sized carrots*
1-2 white potatoes or sweet potatoes **
3 cups or 1/2 to 3/4 butternut squash
3-6 tablespoons tumeric, to taste
3-6 tablespoons cumin, to taste
sprinkle of cayenne, to taste
sea salt, to taste
6 tablespoons- 1 cup coconut milk, depending on how creamy you want it
 
Put the vegetable broth in a bit pot and bring to a simmer (see below * if making your own). Once simmering, add in the chicken, potatoes, squash, and spices. Let simmer covered for about 1-2 hours. Add in the coconut milk before serving.
 
*I personally would make the vegetable broth from scratch, which is what I did. Most store bought vegetable broths have garlic which Justin is really allergic to, so it made sense to make this myself. I put in about 8-10 cups of water in  pot (honestly have no clue how much as I just filled the pot), put in the celery, carrots, and bay leaves, and let simmer for a good hour. I imagine you could also do this in a slow cooker. Obviously, if you do go with a store bought vegetable broth, you'd still want to put the bay leaves/carrots/celery in the soup, but don't double up if you make your own. Or do, if you really like vegetables. Probably would also not need as much salt if you use store bought vegetable broth.
 
**I used sweet potatoes with my recipe but both Justin and I agreed that this would have been better with either white potatoes or a less sweet yam.
 

No comments: