Friday, July 29, 2005

We need to hear from everyone who knows more than we do...

Does anyone know anything about home loans or the process of purchasing a home? We have decided that the next step we need to take is to buy a house. And that step has been sped up by about 2 years since the housing market out here is about to go through the roof. So, we are trying to buy a house and hopefully within the next few months to a year we will be moving again...at least it will not be halfway across the country this time!

We have looked at new models and we have a relator working for us on houses that are a few years old. We have to get prequalified for a mortgage first though before he really starts to work for us. I guess if we aren't approved, then he is just wasting his time. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions or advice on what the heck we should or shouldn't be doing? We are clueless! And I'm not really even sure if we will be able to get approved for a loan...so I'm pretty scared we won't be able to buy a house. I mean, we are looking at A LOT of money. A LOT. Houses out here have doubled in the past year (which is why we want to get in so quick) but I just don't feel like we would ever be able to get a mortgage for what we would need. Tim keeps telling me that we have money and that we have really good credit and that I should just look at the monthly payments, which would be only slightly more than our rent right now. So, I guess I shouldn't be so worried but entering this phase of 'surburbia-ness' is a little frightening.

UPDATE: I talked to the mortgage guy earlier. He took all of our income/debt info and ran a credit report. He called back (I was prepared for the worst) and we were approved for WAY MORE than I ever expected. Like scary huge amount of money. I guess Tim was right and our credit is really good. I am amazed right now but it scares me that if we actually bought a house for this much, we would have that much debt. And that much money to me is absolutely nuts.

So, our relator is now working. He already sent me several listings and I feel like the ball is just rolling out of control. If we don't build a new house, at the rate things are going we could be into a house like SUPER fast. That, to me, is scary. Part of my plan when I was a teenager and even during my first few years at Gracleand, was to never settle into the surburbia thing. Of course, I never PLANNED to be married now either. I planned to be single (or dating someone but doing my OWN thing) and living overseas or in LA or New York City. And I was going to be a writer or a nutritionist/trainer, not an accountant. Funny how things work out completely different than you'd ever expect...but better. I love my life now but buying a house is like accepting that all my 'plans' are out the window. Even last year, I half expected Tim and I to like buy or rent a loft in the city or something... not buy a house and be the typical suburbia couple... but I think I'm ok with the idea now. Having a yard and room to grow will be nice. But all that debt and EQUITY (like real grown-ups have!) will be scary. I am starting to like the idea, though, of having something of our own. Just as long as we don't even consider kids for about 10 years, then I will be fine. The intended plan will still partially be real. Until I met Tim, I never wanted kids. But now look at me, I never really thought I would consider owning my own home until I was like 80 and couldn't go anywhere. It's funny though. I've realized that plans changed on the outside but the ultimate plan is happiness. And that's where I'm at right now. Total and complete happiness in my, our life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

realtor, not relator. You might try asking your parents for advice but then they don't know much, do they?

Jenn said...

hmm...i wonder who wrote this comment... not too hard to guess.

Anonymous said...

Thought you might!