Wednesday, July 13, 2005

7-13-05

Today is the scariest day of the whole year. Normally I am not superstitious. When I used to play in golf meets or tennis matches or swim in swim meets, I never had any weird superstitious thing that I did that you sometimes hear about with other people (like wearing dirty underwear because it's your 'lucky' pair). But I really hate the numbers 13 and 7.

This is a pretty new development...as in it only started at the beginning of college. But now I won't leave my car or house if the CD I'm playing is on track 7 or 13. If I'm working out I won't stop if I'm in minute 7 or 13. If I'm on the treadmill, I can't touch the settings in minute 7 or 13. I almost didn't want to buy the Mini Cooper because even though when we got it the odometer said 9 miles, on the official papers, they wrote 13. (I justified buying it though because it was REALLY 9 so apparently the people just couldn't read). So, yes, this is weird.

I have no idea why all of a sudden I got so quirky about these numbers. The only thing I can come up with is this (in all of its nerdiness): I dated a guy my senior year of high school up through the beginning of college. His favorite number was 13. Mine was (you guessed it!) 7. We kind of drifted apart when we went off the college and I always felt pretty bad about that. And of COURSE the numbers were the sole reason why we didn't work out, right? We didn't have ANY real issues that caused us to not be together. Stupid numbers.

It made sense to me back then as stupid as it sounds now and the idea has just kind of always stuck. So now I guess it is a rather bad habit. I'm not like one of those weirdos that hides in their house on these superstitious overrated days. I am just cautious. But I do have to say that this day has been weird in one sole way: I think this is the dumbest post I have ever made. Forgive me today, tomorrow will be normal again.

No comments: