Thursday, June 30, 2005

Just when I was starting to build up some confidence...

I managed to RUIN no-bake cookies. For anyone that has never made no bake cookies, it is about as elementary as baking brownies from a box. All it requires is mixing and measuring. Most people probably had these perfected in fourth grade. Not me. Since I've had some time off, I've been trying to perfect my cooking. So today it was no-bake cookie day. Not only did I somehow manage to burn these (even though they are NO bake), I also ended up with a big hard glob of what looked like rocky mud.

I used to be a lot better cook than I am now...it's a really weird phenomenon. I really am trying to be a good cook and it's not that I don't want to cook (like my mom always thinks). I really do try and I am good at some things, on a CONSISTENT basis...consistency really is the key. I have made some really good way healthy recipes but Tim tends to gravitate towards the meat and cheese type of person. I don't mess with meat...lord knows what I would do to ruin that if I tried. He grills all meat we eat...the only thing I can do is brown ground turkey and bake chicken. And I can never make any of the healthy recipes again because they are so complicated that the second time around could prove to be somewhat worse than the first. Again, the consistency issue. [Also, it should be noted that I made no bake cookies two weeks ago and they were GREAT. Which is why I decided to make them again...because I KNEW I couldn't ruin them, right?] These are things that I can always make well:

1) Spinach artichoke dip
2) Spaghetti goulash stuff
3) Tacos
4) Oatmeal
5) Kraft macaroni and cheese (although I don't think this counts).

And by the way, I am don't even do well making cans of soup. I have a little bit of a microwave issue. As in, I always blow stuff up or catch it on fire...seriously, ask Tim. I caught a microwave on fire when I lived in the dorms at college because I was trying to heat up a cookie...who doesn't like WARM COOKIES?

So, someday I am going to be a good cook. But not today. Dinner tonight? Kraft macaroni and cheese with burnt rocky cookies. Yummy.

Update: I am not even joking about this, although I do find it slightly hilarious and I don't think Tim has stopped laughing at me since he's been home. I have never managed to do this before, but I somehow managed to make the macaroni and cheese extremely soggy...I really think I might be cooking cursed today. It's like macaroni soup-edible but kind of has a baby food texture. Chipolte, here we come!

6 comments:

Tim said...

I think you are a great cook! Even the rocky no bake cookies taste pretty good. Next time though I think it would be helpful if you put all of the ingredients in, especially the milk.

Tim said...

I forgot to tell you also that you have been doing a good job lately with microwave times. When I first met you a cookie took roughly 1 minute to warm up/catch on fire. You have improved leaps and bounds since then.

pablo said...

Maybe it's that your at a higher altitude and you need to follow those high altitude directions. Just guessing.

I'm pretty good at making ice water. Beyond that, look out!

travis said...

Have you ever tried heating Oreos in the microwave? Mmmmmmm, tasty!

Jenn said...

Hmm...Warm oreos...now that is a GREAT idea!!

lee said...

kraft macaroni & cheese better count, or i'm in trouble.