Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Beer olympics, take #2

Does anyone remember when I posted about some Squalor in the Holler thing last year? No? Yes? Maybe? Well I did. See here. Please. I was much better at documenting last year because I guess the keystone light hit the "TAKE PICTURES" button last year and this year it hit the "DO NOTHING" button. And also, please refrain from calling the nearest psychologist as Justin and I subjected ourselves this AGAIN on labor day this year. What? We're responsible adults 99% of our lives... this accounts for the other 1%.

However, this year, it was much more mild on our end. Perhaps we are getting, um, OLD. Actually, I don't think that's it. I think that part of that was due to the fact that we were coming out of the wedding craze, just back from Hawaii where we spent the better part of the week drinking fruity drinks, and just not all reved up to partake in the beer olympics of the world. I mean, this kind of event requires TRAINING. And last year at the time of the beer olympics of the world, we'd spent the better part of the summer training in the form of bourbon. That is pretty much the best training in the world. This summer? Wedding planning. Does not qualify as training for the beer olympics. So, like I said, it was much more mild.

This year we went over on Saturday morning (versus Friday night last year). We stopped at safeway on our way up and bought a case of Keystone light, the official sponsor of this event, whether they know it or not. I'm pretty sure we do a good job of funding all profits they make in the state of Washington in September. But holy crap, Justin and I were BLOWN AWAY. 30 cans of Keystone light is ridiculously cheap. Who knew?

After picking up some beer and snacks, we made it to the official site for the weekend, Justin's friend Jesse's house. In the middle of bloody nowhere. If someone were to just plop me down there, aside from the mountains, I'd guess we were in Iowa. We did rally. Oh yes, we did. But, we were only there for 2 days (instead of the 3.5 last year) so we didn't WIN, though we participated in most events. That in itself is no small feat. All in all, it was a fabulous time. Good friends, great weather, good to get away and "rough" it by all accounts for a couple of days before we got back to Seattle to really bring in fall.

The only pictures that I took are below: on our drive out of the middle of nowhere on our way back to Seattle.



Justin driving... note the "official" Squalor in the Holler shirts this year were white v-necks. Classy.



Pretty mountains. (Like I said, it was GORGEOUS up there this year. Not too cold, warm during the day, perfect for tent camping).

No comments: