Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cookies for dinner

So.

I did the unthinkable.

Last night I went on a 5 mile run and got home and was STARVING. I had seen these cookies earlier in the day and as a person who ALWAYS thinks about dessert, I was thinking about them and thinking that, huh, I should just make these now while I am throwing together an actual dinner. Let's just say: NOT A GOOD IDEA. It was the starving brain thinking, not the rational person thinking. I modified the cookies, as follows, and I think I am going to call them "Vegan awesomeness cookies." Because they were Vegan and they were freaking awesome. Seriously. Here's the recipe I used (basically because this is what I had on hand):

1 cup old fashioned oats
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup dried cranberries
4 tbsp vegan choc chips, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds (gotta be honest, I just threw a bunch in, I have no idea how much...you can use whatever you have on hand)
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup flax (ground)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tbsp almond butter
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp olive oil

Then I baked these babies at 350 degrees for about ten minutes.

The almond butter and peanut butter I used? The same stuff I grinded in the nut grinder machine at whole foods the other day (see here). It was PERFECT in this recipe. These cookies were so good. If you don't like maple syrup, you could definitely substitute agave nectar but I am not the biggest maple fan and didn't even taste the maple syrup. And since these cookies are totally vegan, I MIGHT have just indulged in maybe about 8 pounds of cookie dough before baking. Maybe. And then probably about 10 cookies after baking. It was BAD. Needless to say, after that cookie monster madness from a girl with a MASSIVE sweet tooth, I was not too hungry for dinner. I made a small salad and called it the dinner of champions because basically it was substantially cookies. Doesn't get much better than that in my book! And hey, at least they are fairly healthy as far as cookies go... don't judge!

A picture of the cookies baking from the remainder of the dough that I didn't eat.

And the finished product... after doing some more damage, of course.

No comments: