Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mount Si, take 2

Oh Washington, I veto you and your stupid weather. I am FREEZING and in sweaters, listening to the heater still kick on while I lay huddled under blankets drinking hot tea in sweatshirts, living in a perpetual winter... while the rest of the country basks in glorious sun. Because, um, hi? It's, like, ONE DAY from being "officially" summer... shouldn't we at least TRY to get there sometime before September? Maybe? This sun and summer thing is a foreign concept around these parts... lately. Lately meaning, oh, the last TWO MONTHS. And 70 degrees? Haha, nice tease last Saturday WASHINGTON. Loved it for a day but you are just having a blast making us all miserable with your 50 degrees and incessant rain and intermittent teases. Why do we even tolerate you and your randomness? Well, I veto you. DISLIKE BUTTON ACTIVATED. Officially. And I officially retroact the dislike button all the way back to April when this weather nonsense started. So go, fix it. Sunny, hot weather NOW. You have one day until summer, go!

While I contemplated the (still winter) weather in Washington yesterday (and as an aside, truly, it's like winter here since our winters really aren't cold), I decided to flip Washington the middle finger and get outside anyway. Well, it gave us the middle finger right back as we FROZE our way up and down Mount Si for the second weekend in a row. We decided to do Mount Si again because 1) It's a good hike, great workout and 2) The weather sucked so there would be no view anywhere so no point in doing an awesome view hike. It was a great time although about 10 minutes in I wanted to quit. It was cold and I was grumpy and my legs hurt from lifting the day before (waaaah, I know). Eventually, about 2.5 miles in I stopped being a baby at which point we FLEW up. Not quite as fast as the prior week but I'll blame the weather for that too since it was so cold my joints literally felt stiff.

At the top, 4 miles in and up... we are soaking wet because for the last 1.5 miles we were hiking through clouds. Literally so foggy we couldn't see 3 feet in front of us. Glorious!

Oh and an absolutely disgusting picture of yours truly... covered in cloud and yuck weather. Shortly after, we both threw on beanies (stocking hats, whatever you call them). Thank GOD Tim had the foresight to think, "Hey, it's kinda cold out, let's bring these." Otherwise, I would have turned into an ice statue. No, seriously.

And our "view." Slightly different than last week, no?
All in all it was a great hike.... despite the suck of this weather. Which, I must end by saying, is still very much vetoed.

No comments: