Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Headed to the sunnier side...

This past weekend we headed east of the mountains on Saturday morning to Wenatchee. It's notoriously more "seasonal" east of the mountains, not to mention they have 300 days of sun a year. I'm not sure what's really better- rain and more moderate temps or sun and snow? I guess I've opted for rain/moderate temperatures seeing as how that's where I live. Plus, I really do NOT miss frigid 10 degree snowy days, even if it is sunny. I better not get started on the weather since currently it is not EVEN 70 degrees, raining, and I'm wearing a turtleneck. Seattle, um, HI, it's JULY. #*$&#! Oh, there I go. I digress. I give up on you, stupid Seattle "summer" weather.

A few pictures from our drive east:


Headed out of town up north in the little farming communities at the base of the mountains...

Coming up to the mountains (it was even sunny on the west side of the mountains that day! See SEATTLE, this is how you should be, come on, just do it... just for a few days in a row PLEASE?!)


The fearless driver... or something. Actually I think he was just excited to drive little Alfred along the mountain roads. He knows them so well from doing this drive 400,000 times when he lived east of the mountains and went to school in Seattle. So, literally he would say to me, "oh, hey do you want to buy a knife?" I'd be all "what are you talking about?" And then 100 seconds later we'd pass a knife stand on the side of the road. Or, "hey, look out to your right...watch out!" And then, baffled, I'd look, and I'd see a roaring waterfall. I told him he'd spent WAY too much time driving that road but I guess that's what makes it fun to drive it since he knows it so well. It was honestly pretty cute.


Headed up towards the pass through the foresty parts...


And yours truly, having nothing else to take pictures of.... perhaps I was bored.


About to come over the pass....
And after the pass, we dropped down into Leavenworth, the town where Justin really grew up and graduated high school from. It's the little Bavarian village that plays to tourism (and HI, is GORGEOUS... note: above). It's not really Bavarian, so to speak, it's just how all of the buildings look. It's a very cute little mountain town and to say that I love it there as much as Justin does even with all of the memories he has there would be an understatement. If we could make money there, I have no doubt that we'd move there in an instant even WITH the snow and cold (and trust me, it's saying something if I say that). It's just a tough town to make money in since really the only thing it thrives on is tourism. I'm pretty sure tourists have their own CPAs and personal trainers at home...


The river coming into Leavenworth... it was ROARING due to all of the snow melt which was much later this year. There was still TONS of snow on the mountains which was just incredible for July. But then again, Washington hasn't quite gotten the memo that the rest of the country is well into summer. I think we're still stuck back in, oh, MARCH.


Once in Leavenworth, we were starving so stopped for lunch at Sleeping Lady, the resort where Justin used to work. Above- one of their famous (incredible) monster cookies. I barely got a picture before it was entirely consumed and this is disregarding the fact that it was about the size of my head...mini-vacation calories don't count, right? So seriously good.


Justin drinking ginger tea. It was so nice just to sit outside in the 75 degree weather.


After lunch, we continued our trek east to Wenatchee, where it stops looking so mountain-y and starts to look more like Phoenix. Remember, we went here in April too (and Leavenworth as well). See here for that post.


...well, I guess Wenatchee looks like Phoenix with a river running through it. And only during these months, not so much when there's snow all over.


We checked in at our hotel and headed straight to the reason we were east of the mountains: a wedding for my friend Becky (who is from Wenatchee). Above: us sweating our butts off in 85 degrees (it's warmer in Wenatchee than Leavenworth) waiting for the wedding to start.

And a picture of the beautiful bride and groom. It was so fun to be there with them on their special day! After the wedding, we headed back into Leavenworth for dinner at South, a GREAT little restaurant downtown where we saw about two million people that knew Justin. I swear, he's like a Leavenworth celebrity... we can't go two feet in that town without someone recognizing him. It was seriously hilarious. It's happened every time we've visited there and I still can't get over it. Small towns... there is definitely something to be said for them.

Part II of the trip east to be continued....

No comments: