Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The superman stunt that went wrong

Oh man. Where do I even start?

Ok. So, I have had to work every Saturday for the last month and a half. It's busy season, whatever. But one thing that I've been doing and maintaining this busy season is working out. Every year I say I'm going to be great about continuing my workouts but by about mid-February, I tend to turn into more of a weekend warrior, by March I'm a bi-monthly warrior and by April I'm about ready to go ballistic because I've been working too much and not working out enough. So, this year I promised myself would be different...

I knew two things would help me this year:
1) Going to the gym in our building (easy access- I can escape work to workout and not have to physically leave the building)
2) Working with a trainer (then I'd HAVE to go, I'd pre-pay, I would have more FUN, and it would eliminate the excuse of not being able to run because of my dumb achilles).

So I've been working with a trainer for a few months now and I absolutely love him. Not only am I toning muscles that I didn't really work out on my own, but he is just a super cool, sweet guy and the time spent training with him is just like hanging out with a friend (who also kicks your ass at times). On the days that I don't train, I do cardio. And on the weekends I try to hike depending on how my foot is doing. It's been GREAT and I am getting in better shape than I've been in for a long time, even though I've always been active.

Once busy season really started to pick up, Saturdays threw a little bit of hiccup into my workout plan. So I have had to schedule some Saturday sessions with Justin (my trainer) since during the week I'm often out at clients/have other obligations, etc.

Saturday February 20 was no exception.

I started out the session totally frazzled. We agreed to meet at 1pm and I'd been at the office since 6. And it was just one of those days where EVERYTHING had just piled up and was completely stressing me out. It didn't help matters that I pretty much had to get everything done by Monday, as I was leaving for Alaska that day. So I ran downstairs at 1 and was just a total stressball.

Lucky for me, working out always helps this!

It was a GORGEOUS day outside so Justin had me outside on the concrete porch doing various exercises. Obviously in the gym they have the "mats" for the floor but it was just too nice not to be outside... It was AWESOME to have sun time plus exercise. And, I mean, truthfully, we're just weight training, you'd think it would be safe, right?

We worked out for about 40 minutes out there and then he brings out this yellow resistance band. It's one of those things where you strap one end on to one person and another on the other person. Then one person is in front moving and the other is in the back "resisting" and trying to slow the front person down. So we did this a couple of times- Justin running backwards, me using my leg muscles to slow him down (it was actually a GREAT workout).

Then he asks, "Want to try it with me running straight [instead of backwards]"?

Me: "Sure!" Note: I usually don't say no to a lot of exercises because I really think that I am strong enough to try them... I think Justin would say the same about me.

Justin says: "ok, you ready?"

Me: "Yup, let's go!"

....

and then.

ARGHUMPHHHHHHH was the noise that came out of my body.

Jenn played superman. Except she ate shit.

Justin took off and I am not really sure what happened at that point... either I wasn't totally ready and didn't move my legs or he was just being a world class sprinter. I went flying about 4 feet and then just plowed/skidded on the concrete.

Justin, of course, heard the ARGHUMPHHHHHHH and came running back the second he heard it but MAN I hit hard. And hit everything...

As a sidenote, it really is too bad that we didn't have it on video. I'm sure it looked absolutely hysterical.

So he helps me up and later I find out that I was looking like total hell, like, "what the EFF just happened?" And we turn over my hands and they are just gushing blood. Ugh oh. Then he looks at my chin, same thing. Then we look at my arms, same thing. And stomach, same thing.

We're both laughing but I think we were both simultaneously thinking, "oh shit."

So he sends me into the bathroom to get cleaned up which BY THE WAY, HURT LIKE HELL. Water on open war wounds = suck. Justin follows me in because I guess I was looking sort of out of it and he had some ointment to put on my wounds.

Apparently he was right because he ripped off some skin that was hanging off of me and I guess my poor little body had enough. Everything starting to go blurry, fuzzy, star-ish, black. Yuuup. Justin put me on the counter and kind of just held me there while I tried not to loose total consciousness. I remember just staring at the clock thinking ok, I'm not going to stop looking at this, it WILL NOT go black. I WILL NOT PASS OUT RIGHT NOW. I knew I was on the verge of passing out. Like 99.9% there.

And then I started to feel like I was going to puke. MY GOD. I've taken worse falls than this, what in the hell??

At one point Justin said, "are you seeing stars?" And I apparently responded like I was drunk off my ass, "Yeaaaah, seeing stars... niiiiice."

After about 10 minutes of trying to shut down and go black, and a MILLION deep breaths, mind over matter won and everything started to get more clear. Phew.

Justin continued to get the dirt/rocks out of my open wounds then we went outside to just sit for a while so that I could start to feel a little bit better. And seriously, everyone asks me if I kept working out? Really? Um, no.

We sat outside in the sun for over an hour (which was GREAT) and our friend Renee who came down to run joined us too. Eventually I decided I was ok enough to get dressed. which AGAIN hurt like effing HELL.

And then, after laughing, hugging, and reassuring Justin that I was ok, I made my way home (and really, I was ok, really. This ultimately is a very funny story)...

Driving stick, not the best. Going home, I KNEW I had to take a shower since I had dirt all over my face, stomach, arms. But I couldn't even open the god damn door to the house. So, eventually I got in and made myself take a shower. Bloody HELL. (Almost literally). HOLY GOD, I have maybe never experienced something so painful. Did all of my friends back in the midwest hear me yelling F-bombs that day? I'm pretty sure my neighbors did at least.

After that, I bandaged up my poor wounds and called Tim to come home to help me take care of the dog, especially since I was still feeling light headed/woozy.

Turns out, I actually kind of hurt myself... I had to postpone my trip to Alaska for two days so that I could recover. It was kind of nice though because I was able to relax, work at home (in sweats) soI think it was kind of a blessing in disguise.

But at least now we all know that I have no flying capability and nope, I am not superman. How about some pictures of the carnage?


In the car the day that it happened trying to get myself to go into Walgreens to get some bandages (hand 1)... the bleeding had stopped at this point.

Hand number two, the day it happened, again trying to get myself to go into Walgreens.


A shot of the chin.


A shot of the stomach wounds.


And finally at home.... deciding to take pictures instead of making myself get in the shower.

This picture is a couple days after- the chin looks much better!

As does the stomach- I don't even know that you can totally see much here- I basically just had a big gash on the left side and then just skid marks all up and down (which healed quickly).

Maybe you can see it better here...

And hand 1 a few days later- before it turned totally black and blue.

A shot of the whole arm... lovely! I forgot to take a picture of the other hand. Whoops. Turns out I sprained that wrist (the left one) pretty dang bad.


And a shot of the shirt. I'm not sure how this picture will show up but in person you can see the skid marks, holes made by the concrete, etc. It's pretty freaking funny.
So that is my superman story. It hurt. But surprisingly, I didn't even cry. Just laughed and almost passed out. I actually find the whole thing to be quite humorous even though it really did hurt like hell.
And sidenote: since I'm actually writing this in March.... I'm naturally back in the gym working out. It feels GREAT. We even worked out again outside the other day at the scene of the crime since it was gorgeous out again...we did take a moment of silence before going out there. But, no superman stunts, just awesome workouts. Justin continues to be one of the best trainers I've ever worked with and I'm getting in probably the best shape I've ever been in as a result. Plus, he's a pretty good friend too which makes it even that much more fun. And we have laughed A LOT about this, I mean, what else can you really do?

No comments: