Monday, February 8, 2010

Driving on the boulevard...

Every Saturday this time of year, I have to work. I work 6 good days a week (meaning anywhere from 8 hours on Saturdays to 12-15 hours the other days of the week), often I work 7 days a week. I love GOING in to work Saturday mornings. I'm not really sure why because about 5 minutes after I get there all I can think is SUCK SUCK SUCK. Especially if I make the goal to get there early at 6am. 6am on Saturdays=grumpy Jenn.

But usually, I get there later around 8am after sleeping in until 6-6:30am. And when I do get there later, I drive down the boulevard in Kirkland, thus the part about loving going IN to work. The boulevard in Kirkland is just that: a quaint little stretch of old and new shops right along the waterfront of Lake Washington, a LOT of coffee shops, including starbucks and Ladro (my fav) that I often stop at, many condos, tons of restaurants and bars, and GORGEOUS scenery of the Lake (and if it's sunny, you can see Rainier in the distance as well as the Olympics far off to the west and the Cascades to the east).

We can walk to the boulevard from our house- it's about 2-3 miles but I love driving it in the early mornings on Saturday and not just because it's a fun place but because it is SO fun to people watch.

On Saturday mornings everyone is out for a morning run, morning stroll, morning bike, morning dog walk. It's so interesting to see people and I have learned that, after doing this for several Saturdays in a row, I kind of judge people: "Oh, yup there's a biker that knows what he's doing." or "oh, running club- I wonder what they are training for- they look like it's the first time training!" or "Yeah, nope, good effort but she isn't a runner at all." or "Wow, high maintenance dog." or "Geez, that guy is hard core- he is ALWAYS out." and on and on. There are literally TONS of people out and I enjoy watching these people share the same love of the boulevard that I have. That being said, I will be happy for busy season to be over so I can join in with all of these people on Saturday mornings... then someone can judge me as they drive by.

No comments: