Thursday, March 25, 2010

The busy season week from hell

The last week of March was definitely the highlight of my busy season. In terms of awfulness. I had about a million audits going on that were wrapping up and several of them hadtogetoutthissecond, or at least by March 31. Which just so happened to be right this second. Oh! It was also the second when I had what would the the first of many instances where I would have rather jumped out of a 10 story building than deal with The Client From Hell.

There is always one of these clients every busy season and mine just happened to be a new client that I happened to really like at the time the project started...until it turned into an absolute cluster. TURNS OUT that their prior CPA SUCKED and turns out that I should probably not review any sort of project after playing superman during the prior month (and failing). Why? Because apparently that jolt went to my head or at least made me really not look as deeply as I should have while reviewing. Totally my bad and definitely came back to bite me in the ass.... A bite in the ass that occurred during this last week of March, a week in which I ALSO was starting The Client From Hell of 2 busy seasons ago, known now as the biggest client I have. Lovely!

Add to that the fact that out of stupidity (or sheer tiredness and not really knowing what I was agreeing to) I agreed to help one of my friends' with her taxes (not simple, I might add- a single member LLC-yuck!), not to mention my own taxes, which by the way, I hadn't even STARTED and they were due in oh, two weeks. And my friend is, admittedly, one of the biggest non-organizers EVER but didn't want to file an extension. Gah! After all of this, you have a mixture of: 1) Crazy 3/31 deadlines 2) Grumpy bosses 3) Shit hitting the fan on new clients 4) Tax hell (how did I EVER work in tax?!)

It was BY FAR the worst week of busy season, hands down (at least until about mid April, which was post busy season SUPPOSEDLY, HA!, and there was a runner up to the week from hell...more on that once I get caught up to that point in time). There is always one week that stands out and though I can't get too detailed in this forum, let's suffice it to say that there was definitely a happy hour on that Friday night... even though I had to work all day Saturday and Sunday. Holy crap, I'm glad that week is FAR, FAR behind me. At least until next year when I have another busy season and another week from hell that goes down in the books as such.

No comments: