Friday, March 12, 2010

The glorious cities of western Washington.

Holy god, as I write this I CANNOT believe how long ago this seems. I mean, it seems almost like it was in another YEAR, a good year, a year in which I did not wish to just fall and die from sheer exhaustion because I needed sleep and to not work THAT BADLY. This week was the beginning of that string of hell and if I had known then what the following weeks held after this week until, oh I don't know AFTER April 15, I might have had a different outlook on the whole week, like, DON'T RETURN TO SEATTLE...EVER. Or at least until June. It was the start of a complete downhill slide for me in my "busy season."

The week of March 8-March 12, I was in Aberdeen, Washington at a new client. A very large new client that does manufacturing. Manufacturing of something that we all use every day, without probably even a thought. And the process? Oh my GOSH, the process is just amazing. I was literally blown away. Obviously I can't really talk about who or what here, but let's just say that it was one of the most incredible processes I have ever seen. I know, I'm such a tease.

So, Aberdeen. Aberdeen is a VERY small town on the coast of western Washington. Right on the ocean. Surprisingly, though, (or maybe not) because the Washington shore is not quite like the Southern Cali shore, there just isn't the draw for people to live there. The weather is erratic and the coast of Washington consists mostly of small towns. Like Aberdeen. And in comparison? It reminded me to a TEE of all the Iowa towns I was so familiar with after spending summers at my grandparents in Iowa as a child...except for the whole ocean thing, of course.


We stayed in the "nicest" hotel in town. Aka: a hotel circa 1982. Don't you just love the hallway carpet? The rooms were rocking forest green carpet. It was an experience.

The drive down to Aberdeen was GORGEOUS though. Through the mountains to the coast. Luckily, we had pretty good weather that week too. The coast is notorious for rainfall even when Seattle was dry... we had a couple of crazy bursts of rain but several clear days too.

Just coming into the town of Aberdeen. There is a Starbucks ahead right after coming into town- by the end of the week, the baristas there had my drink (hot black chai tea) with my name on it ready and waiting by the time I got there. It was totally cool and so reminiscent of a small town.


And a shot from of the sunset via the car mirrors.
It was a pretty good week with my co-workers. We went to a couple of dinners in town where we got to unwind at the end of some long days with some talks and wine. Of course, we sought out what the "nice" restaurants were to the locals and when we walked in, we were about the only people under 60 years old. We did go to Billy's, what seems to be the local dive bar, on our last night and that was pretty fun too. Apparently it's an old whore house. Not kidding. At the end of the week, I think we were all ready to return to civilization. I can honestly say that while it was fun to experience Aberdeen, I do NOT know how people live there.

No comments: