Monday, March 8, 2010

A hike in mid busy season

After a particularly hellish week (ah, who am I kidding, most weeks in busy season have their own elements of hell), I decided to take a rare Sunday off of work. I had run a 5k earlier in the week as my achilles has been relatively pain free (perhaps because I've been sitting on my ass so much?) and I did the 5k in reasonable time considering I haven't run in, I don't know, SEVEN MONTHS! I won't go down that tangent road again, because I can already feel my blood pressure rise from the annoyance this stupid tendon has brought to my life for SEVEN.MONTHS.

Anyway, the 5k. Yes, I had a pretty crappy day so I decided that I NEEDED to run. It's just so much better than the stupid fake runner (aka: elliptical ax trainer) that I have been using since my injury. Anyone that is a runner knows that nothing gives you that "runner's high" like actually running does. So, I ran. My achilles had been decent and I decided to just do it. I ran 3 10 minute miles, which I felt was pretty decent, like I said, considering the amount of time that has lapsed since my last run. I had visions of just being decrepit and falling on my face once my legs starting the running motion again, but alas, they worked just fine. And, AND! No achilles pain! Holy crap!

So after this excitement, I of course, assumed that I am healed. Who knows why, but hooray! So this particular sunday, I was just itching to go hike. I mean, I hadn't hiked in about the same amount of time that I hadn't run (except for Camelback in Phoenix which turned out to not be a great idea for the poor achilles). So, since my achilles was fine after a 5k, why not hike up a mountain? I mean, I'll do an easy hike, only 6 miles or so...so it will be great! And it was...

It was a perfect day, perfect weather to hike. I thought would be relatively ok for my achilles. It was about 6 miles in total. It was AWESOME to be hiking again. See pictures, below:


Bella really hasn't hiked before. Boxers should be about 14 months to really do any distances due to the joint problems that the are prone to develop (which, undoubtedly our dog will- she's prone to EVERYTHING). Anyway, at the top she got some water AND it was discovered she DOES NOT like heights. She was fah-reaked out. It was hard not to chuckle a bit but I felt bad for her.

And more evidence of not liking heights- hiding her face so she doesn't have to look down. Seriously, she did this the whole time we hung out up there.

And more evidence of the dislike of heights- closing the eyes! Seriously was cracking me up.

I did manage to get some good shots of the pup on the mountain... this was not really one of them. Here she is trying to escape from the top of this silly mountain. Again.

But finally she got a bit more comfortable and enjoyed the views. Or maybe she was just looking at the dog over on the other ledge. Who knows.

Pretty dog, gorgeous mountain range, perfect hike.

No comments: