Sunday, January 31, 2010

Thinking of the Graceland community.

Last week, on January 28, I got an email with very sad news: The fun-loving, charismatic, dean of students had passed away after a year long battle of cancer.

See here for information that went out from Graceland.

Tom Powell was instrumental in shaping my Graceland years. I wasn't as close to him as some people were that were involved more in student life BUT, he is one of the first memories I have as an incoming freshman and there was never a day that I saw him that he didn't have a huge smile on his face, grinned, and "Hi Jenn!" I don't know how you COULDN'T be happy around him. He was the longest standing Dean of Students at any school in Iowa and I think there is a lot to be learned from anyone who ever came into contact with him: He had a zest for life, for people (especially students and Graceland), humility, sense of humor, and all good things that we could all probably strive more to have ourselves. I am saddened by this news and my heart and my thoughts are with his family and with the whole Graceland community.

No comments: