Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Animal madness

I haven't posted about the animals in a while...not extensively at least. I still don't even feel like GOING THERE with the cats so I'm not really going to write much about them otherwise I will begin to feel my blood pressure rise again. I mean, seriously, they are 8 POUND CATS ("obese" according to our vet, although they have been on a diet for about 6 months). How is it possible that they could be so annoying? They do have their sweet cuddly kitty moments but for one of them, even that is more of an obsessive compulsion.

Bella is doing well but she is getting on my nerves as well. I have taken to calling her Princess Bella because she thinks that she is entitled to anything and everything she wants. Case in point: she ran her ASS off over the weekend on Saturday AND I kept her awake all evening thinking that would make for a nice, relaxing Sunday morning. NOOOOPE. Princess Bella was whining and bored at 9:45 AM. NINE FORTY FIVE. And no, it's not like I was making her sleep. No, not at all. I was awake at 7am and she got up then, ate, played, etc. So you would think that she could just relax after a big day Saturday and fairly early morning Sunday. YOU WOULD THINK. But we are talking about a boxer puppy here. A puppy with ENDLESS energy. She whines, she wants attention, she wants to run, she barks (AT 5 F-ING 30 the other morning!), she jumps on Tim knowing that HE will give her the hugs/attention she wants...even when she's been getting it for HOURS already. I mean, we are not talking about a neglected pup here. I am ready for her to hit about 2 years old so that her energy level dwindles just a little bit. Or I am ready to adopt another boxer puppy just so that she has a playmate. Wait.... I just lost my mind. No way. No other boxer puppy.

And not to mention: I really want to be able to NOT have to take her to daycare every day. As in: leave her at home and (gasp) TRUST HER. It's just not possible unless she is beyond belief exhausted which doesn't seem to happen no matter HOW long she runs with other dogs (example: Saturday was pushing 2 hours at 120%...never seen her go that hard and she played at home for at least 5-6 hours and ran errands with for 2 hours. Seriously...the whole day was consumed with her). If she isn't exhausted, she'll chew, eat/ingest toys, pounce on 8 pound kitties (which would equal a dead kitty if we weren't home, I could only imagine), poop/pee in the house. Why do I say she would go to the bathroom in the house? Oh I don't know, because pooping and peeing are two of her favorite past times! She goes A MILLION times a day. Seriously, that much. So, we can't leave her at home by herself. I so thought that by this busy season we would be THERE but we just aren't. I get sort of frustrated about that.

She's also still having tummy issues. She had a huge flare up while we were in Kansas City, beginning on Christmas Eve. She had had a little flare up prior to us leaving town so we put her on an antibiotic that was supposed to "cure all" in terms of boxer colitis. DIDN'T WORK as evidenced by her completely liquid poops about 8 times per day while we were out of town (our poor neighbor....) But seriously? Shocker, it's Bella the puppy that is incurable in this regard. So, on the weekend of Christmas when we got home, I sent an email off to our natural puppy supplement lady to get more supplements for Bella since they are the only thing that seems to work for her. It makes sense though- use the supplements as a means to control whatever is wrong with her. I mean, it was $470 (OUCH) BUT. The supplements last for about a year which then doesn't seem like that much of sticker shock PLUS it makes more sense to just get it under control than to keep running tests, trying medicines to try to solve the problem. Obviously the problem is just a chronic tummy issue- whether it's colitis, irritable bowel or whatever- it's chronic so if we just have to control it forever to have a happy, healthy dog, I'd rather do that than essentially torturing her for another year just trying to figure out what's wrong.

So, that's the update on the animals. Princess Bella and the obese kitty bastards. I love them all to pieces of COURSE...I really truly do. It is so rewarding to have them and it's so fun to "know" each of them and their own distinct personalities...and to take care of them, give them a good life, etc. But, WOW, somedays, those personalities just drive me nuts. Especially when you have 3 ornry animals that are just out to show you how cool being ornry is.....

An example of the ornry kitty Calvin. I don't have a picture of him doing what he does to us, so I'll show you how he drives Bella nuts. He also likes to punch her cheeks...and bite them. He is a tough little guy. Bella gets pretty confused when we don't let her pounce on him since he dominates her so much.

And an example of how much Bella plays.... a picture of her jacket after one particularly active day with all of her puppy friends. I wasn't there but Tim told me they were going absolutely INSANE. I can only imagine based on the looks of this jacket!

No comments: