Sunday, January 3, 2010

Pineapple as the cure? Really?

One of the awesome trainers at the gym I go to has added on to the list of stuff to try to get my achilles to heal: Pineapple. He said something about it having bromaline (or some sort of chemical) that helps SOMEHOW with calcium in the body and is great for these types of injuries. Obviously, I'm a little unclear as to exactly what is in it or how it works, but I'm willing to give it a try.

SO, the list is now:
-Ice
-Eccentric stretching
-Inactivity (meaning no running, hiking, or high impact stuff (even including walking when it's flaring up, which coincidentally is most of the time). This is KILLING ME and is going on for um, SIX FREAKING MONTHS NOW!!)
-Wrapping it
-Anti-inflammatory (like advil)
-Arnica (homeopathic treatment)
-Orthopedic doctor
-Pineapple

UGH.

My chiropractic friend Jill told me to try cold laser physical therapy as well...it is on my list to do. But of course the trainer at my gym told me that only works for about 50% of people. Oh well, willing to try it, regardless. The other trainer at my gym told me he knows a guy who does massage type work, targeted for these injuries where he will just basically massage them (OUCH). His words: "It hurts like utter hell but it really works." I think I'll wait a bit on adding that option to the list. I'm going to give pineapple a shot first. Let's just hope that SOMETHING works before the year mark and the dreaded surgery word that the ortho doc told me....

Update: I just noticed this morning on one of the supplements I take (a whole enzyme one) that it has said Pineapple stuff in it... Hmm. Interesting.

No comments: