Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Seriously?! Seriously??

Yesterday Tim was working so I had puppy duty. I noticed that she was licking at the inside of her leg quite a bit. I look.

OH MY FREAKING GOD.

The inside of Bella's legs and her tummy were absolutely COVERED in a huge red rash. Shit.

Since she had just been at the dog park with Dallas the day before and they were running through tall grass, I figured that the grass had irritated her and she was having an allergic reaction. I throw her in the car and run to Walgreens to buy baby benadryll.

I give it to her and it seems to make her feel slightly better. Of course the stuff just knocks her out so I'm not really sure she feels better, just too tired to care.

A few hours later, I look again and it looks worse. These red bumps have turned into big whiteheads- like pimples. GROSS. Additionally, I've noticed that over the past few hours, her eye has gotten increasingly crusty and goopy and she has a little cough. And her nose is running.

SIGH.

At this point, I know I have to call the vet again.

So a week later, we are back there.

We find out that even though Bella was vaccinated against Kennel Cough (basically puppy flu), like the human flu vaccine, it doesn't protect against ALL strains so she probably came into contact with a dog that had a strain she wasn't protected against and since her immune system is weaker as a puppy she got this. "This" involves: pink eye, an ear infection, runny nose, and cough. Additionally the spots on her tummy are a skin infection, which is very common in puppies. Apparently puppies have lots of illness that are "common" and our dog gets every one.

So another $300 later and another bag of loot including MORE antibiotics, skin wash, eye drops, and ear drops, we are done with another day of being raped by the vet. Tim has a dentist appointment so I drop him off there and run home to give Bella a skin bath before I head back to pick him up.

We are exhausted after all of this. We still have no resolution about the tummy issue. The vet has promised that we will hear something back from her on that in 5 days so we are keeping our fingers crossed. Sigh.

No comments: