Thursday, June 4, 2009

Heat wave!

For the past three days it has been almost 90 degrees here in Seattle. I will repeat that because writing it, I almost don't believe it myself... it has been almost 90 degrees here in Seattle. 90! Ninety! 9-0! HOT HOT HOT! And, at the beginning of June at that.

I cannot believe it.

Two years ago on May 30, 2007 (see here), Tim and I started our trek up to the pacific northwest via the California and Oregon coastlines. The second we crossed the Washington border on June 4, 2007 (coincidentally two years ago today, exactly), three things happened:

1) Winston hit 50,000 miles exactly.
2) It started pouring.
3) The temperature read 50 degrees.

YUCK. I remember I spent that first week up here in the cold and rain thinking I needed to invest in some sweaters and FAST. I also remember thinking that perhaps Tim should have moved to Arizona because 120 degrees at the time was much better than freezing my ass off and trying to find sweaters when all the stores only had summer clothes (cruel, cruel joke) and all of my sweaters that I had even kept and not given away in Arizona were buried at the bottom of my moving tubs (brilliant). I spent that June wrapped in about 10 layers of clothes. If you would have asked me, I would have told you it was -30 degrees outside. But then again, I was also the person who when it was "hot" throughout the summer here at 75 degrees, I was STILL wearing a couple of layers. That first summer here was hard to adjust to, climate wise. Well, I guess everything was a pretty tough adjustment at first if I'm being honest.

The following year- last year- in June it was colder than Siberia (which I posted about here). I had adjusted surprisingly fast over the year to the northwest climate and was probably only wearing a couple of sweaters last year at this time. I know there were many people who still had their winter coats out and on though.

So this year, when the weather people predicted nice weather for memorial day weekend, I was skeptical. A nice weekend in May? Ha. But it happened. AND I WAS IN A BIKINI ALL WEEKEND!

When they continued to predict nice weather, I was still a bit skeptical. BUT, it has been nice here for almost two weeks and this week it has been totally sunny and we have hit at least 85 degrees consistently. I am LOVING IT (understatement). Of course most people here are complaining about how hot it is and how they are going to melt but I am seriously in heaven. I am hoping that this isn't all of our summer and that the rain/cold days don't return but I think that we are off to a good start and am hopeful we are in for a nice, warm, long summer.

As a sidenote: I have turned into a Washington girl. Even though I love the heat, I did make the comment to Tim that about 10 degrees cooler is perfect because of the house temperature. It's still hot and nice outside but when you go inside you don't feel like you are stepping into an oven. I would have never made that comment two years ago when 85 degrees still felt like "cold" weather.

No comments: