Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Trans Siberian Orchestra

In my previous life I was a band geek. Ok, maybe it wasn't a previous life. Maybe it was only about 10 years ago. I've played the piano since I was about 5 and the flute since I was about 12. I've also tried my hand at the clarinet, trumpet, piccolo, oboe, saxaphone, and bassoon. I was definitely a nerd. But I loved music, any way, shape or form. Although I have to admit that rap has never and probably will never do anything for me.

I've been in several bands...school concert bands, marching bands, choirs, and actual bands (with guitarists, keyboard players, singers, etc). The actual bands were my favorite along with the concert bands. This being the case, I've always been enamoured with the Trans Siberian Orchestra. They are known best for their Christmas songs. It's kind of Christmas classical music with an 80's rock band twist and a Christmas-y story. Great stuff.

So I've always wanted to go to one of their concerts. For some reason, it seems like it was difficult to get tickets in Kansas City. But this year, I was invited to go when a friend at work's date cancelled at the last minute. I knew that they were going to be in Phoenix but Tim was going to be out of town so I just figured we'd go sometime in the future. So, even though I should have picked Tim up at the airport like I good wife would do, I selfishly elected to go to the concert instead (after him first telling me it was ok about 100 times. And he only beat me home by an hour so it wasn't like he was just sitting at home for 4 hours all by himself).

I'm so glad I jumped at the chance to go...it was awesome! I am so intrigued by these guys. Their Christmas stuff was outstanding but even better than their Christmas music was their funky, modern rock arrangements of classical pieces like Beethoven. It was incredible. I would totally recommend that anyone go if given the chance. I was completely floored by the talent of this group. If you are into good music and actual music talent, check out these guys. They're amazing.

3 comments:

Chels182 said...

This is sad but I just found out about them this past weekend when I was listening to Christmas music with my mom. They sounded really good and so I asked her about them and she played more of their music! That's awesome you got to go to their concert!! I'm sure that was so much fun. Do you know how they got their name?

Kristyn said...

One time at band camp.... :) haha i'm excited you can go! i still remember seeing you at the rose bowl parade!! :)good times. maybe one day you can come see me in the thanksgiving day parade, in a new musical. (haha in my dreams...)

Jenn said...

not sure how they got their name, chels. if you ever find out, i'd be curious! they are definitely awesome... and yeah, kris, that one time at band camp...nice. :) i actually do have funny stories from band camps many, many years ago... but maybe i'll save them for another day. ;) and you totally will be in a musical someday!