Wednesday, December 7, 2005

Snow issues.

When we were leaving Iowa, one of my biggest pet peeves quickly became the response to "We're moving to Phoenix." Everyone responded to this as, "Oh it's SO hot there." Really? Then I should have totally re-thought my decision to move here because I seriously thought Phoenix was the equivalent of Alaska. Someone the other day asked me if I missed the midwest, if I was homesick, if I missed snow. My response? If I thought I would miss snow, why would I move to Arizona? Exactly. Because, contrary to some people's opinion on what I know, I KNEW going in that Phoenix was warm. That was EXACTLY why I moved here. If I wanted to stick with snow, with cold weather, with long winters, with humid summers, I could have more easily found a job in the multitude of states that offer exactly that. There are about 5 states that have mild, warm winters. And I was picky enough to demand that we move to one. And here I am. Go figure.

I hate snow. Similarily, I hate cold. Especially in the midwest. Because it never ends. Not only is it cold, but it snows. Not only is it snowy and cold but it is dark late in the morning and early at night. And it is not always sunny. I hate the feeling of being stuck inside for five miserable months of the year and having to wear 24 layers just to walk to your car. I would much rather have heat than sub-freezing temps and snow or even worse, ice. I sort of don't like rain either. It's just so gloomy. I just like sun. Some people argue with me and tell me they like winters, they like the snow, they like rainy days but I guess I'm wierd. I just don't. And yes, it is hot in Phoenix in the summer. I'm not denying that. But HELLO! It is still sunny! And you can still at least go outside...go to the pool, do stuff at night or in the morning...

And I haven't even gotten into the other main reason of why I despise snow. And if anyone argues with me on this point, I hereby declare you as insane. Driving. Even in the heat of the summer, I can drive in Phoenix without fearing for my life. I cannot count the many times that I just knew I was going to slide off the road in the midwest during a snowstorm. Or the couple of times that I actually did slide into something. Or all of the cars piled up in the median of the freeway on 1-35 because they slid off (one day we counted 65 cars in the ditch in a 20 mile stretch of road). And we had $400 snow tires on one car and all-season tires on the other!

I will admit that I do think snow is pretty. And sometimes a rainy cold day would be nice to have just to sit inside and eat soup and have a fire. BUT, BUT my longing for sun, warmth, and perfect days far outweighs my desire to have that weather. I just looked and right now Iowa is in the single digits with a negative windchill and with snow forecast for tonight. Kansas City is likewise freezing and under a winter snow warning. Read: lots of snow is falling.

I cannot say I miss it. If I want to see it, I have VOLUNTARY snow available. I will hop in my car and drive to Flagstaff, to the mountains. But, as of yet, I don't miss it. I don't envy anyone out there right now. I get cold weather here, believe it or not. In the mornings here, it is literally freezing. Like 30-35 degrees. That is cold enough to experience cold but still under the high temp for the midwest right now! It warms up to 60-65 degrees which makes the days perfect. And for me, I couldn't ask for anything better. I've experienced both now so I can honestly say which one I like better. And judging by where I live, I'm sure you can guess which one is which. So, to everyone who gave the advice that Phoenix is hot, yes it is. But, when you are freezing your butt off in the winter, I'm outside running, not wearing a coat, leaving my windows open. Right now my advice to you is that the midwest is COLD and I'm admire you for sticking it out but I'm so glad I'm not you. Hopefully you are not like me and you enjoy the cold and snow. If so, have fun and enjoy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to figure out why I'm leaving california and going back to the midwest for college...

Jenn said...

I think Kristyn wrote that comment!

Erin Logan said...

I agree with you about the snow...I hate it and am glad I don't have to deal with it...However, when I am awake at night because it is 90 and sticky hot, I do miss the cold temperatures. Definitely not 30 or below, but a good 40 would do once in a while! Christmas will definitely be so weird without snow or cold temperatures. Right now we are preparing for a HOT Christmas of 105!!! Damn Australia! I guess we'll have to go to the beach on Christmas day, which will be SO weird for us!

Jenn said...

Hey the beach on Christmas doesn't sound so bad... a little weird, but I totally think I could deal. :) A beach day when it's 105 definitely sounds tolerable. I had no idea it gets that hot over there!

Kristyn said...

Haha, yea that was me. I guess i clicked the wrong button :)