Monday, March 9, 2015

Still enough.

Last night I had the privilege of being courted by this cute guy I've been crushing on for the better part of 5 years now. He also goes by the title of my husband, father of my kids, my boyfriend, my lover, and my best friend. He's all of those things and so, so many more. Sometimes (hell, ALL the time), it's hard (impossible) for us to get away for time to ourselves. If we do have time, we are trying to cram in a workout, work...getting life stuff done. And more often than not we are both playing tag team juggling it all. Our jobs, kids, life. At the end of the day as we are lying in bed, we usually are able to talk for 20 minutes and get back to US. But sometimes this is more "what's your schedule like" talks vs telling each other how everything is really going. 

We are lucky that we get to see each other more than most couples/families. But, as anyone with kids can attest, it's still a circus act. The kids need us, the dog needs us, the house needs us (hello septic back up that happened tonight...ugh...another story entirely), bills need to be paid, we have responsibilities at work...and on and on. So while we have TIME together, it's not really gazing romantically into each other's eyes. It's a quick kiss and "here, grab the baby," "Owen stop tormenting luke," "crap I need to pay the mortgage", "I really need to get this/that done for work." 

It is totally what we signed up for. 

Our lives are FULL. We are so full. I hate the word busy, so we are full. We rarely have time to watch TV because we would rather fit in time to ride or bikes or go to the gym or take the kids out to play. It is full. 

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

That being said: back to my first paragraph- I had the rare privilege to be courted last night. It was like back in the day. A long romantic dinner. Talking. Wine. A beautiful view (both him and the view of our valley home). I almost felt like we were on vacation. For almost three whole hours we talked and laughed and held hands and kissed. And remembered that there is this red thread that runs through our full life that holds everything together: US. We established the foundation and it's firm...even through the times where we bicker. Or perhaps that one time we rode road bikes together and, well, there were tears. Or in the times we we are tired and exchange words we don't really mean. We STILL have that firm foundation of love that's 5 years in the making to fall back on. 

I am so proud of our relationship and this life we have created. I am so blessed beyond measure to know this love that truly everyone deserves. I am so lucky to have such a supportive, loving partner. These nights are just huge reminders that at the end of the day, we/us/our love story/our relationship is not only surviving what could sometimes be seen as the chaos of life, but it's thriving. 

How lucky are we. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautifully said - and more important - beautiful that in the fullness of life, you are taking time to delight in all that is good in your life together. That will be one of the greatest gifts you can give your boys. Hugs.