Sunday, March 22, 2015

Month 6: Dear Bennett,

Well little guy, you are now actually 7 months old but I'm just catching up to month 6. This is not my fault AT ALL because since we crossed in to 2015, you have decided that despite being such a great sleeper since you were born, this would be the YEAR OF NO SLEEP. Hey, thanks for that. So, here is month 6 and if I don't make total sense, remember, my brain is operating at 2% capacity as it's frozen in sleep deprivation mode. Your fault.

Pictures:











Owen at B -Owen on left at the same age.


And the monthly progression.


So, what did we do this month, little B? In our sleep deprived states? Well, turns out a lot. (Also turns out that coffee is AMAZING). In January, we decided to take a little family trip to downtown Seattle- Pike Place Market. Your brother was fascinated by the flying fish... and everything else that comes with a trip downtown. You were also pretty fascinated but mostly just took it in without making as much of a fuss about it all as your brother.


It was pretty fun to be tourists in our own town.



We even went and got sushi for lunch at our favorite place. You slept through the whole thing.


We also had a couple of play dates with your cousins... one of which is your cousin Dylan who is only a couple months older than you. So far you two just kind of grab at each other but nothing else too notable. Either way, it's pretty cute to watch you both grow up together.


Brothers and their babies.



Trying to big one of the big kids.


We also continued on with sickness 2015. Your brother got an ear infection and you and I had a god awful cold. It was about 6 weeks straight of illness. HORRIBLE.


But we did get lots of cuddles.



At the end of January, we got a new friend. His name is Luke and he just had knee repair surgery. We decided to foster him during his recovery. So far, he's been a very sweet doggie.



He REALLY likes to lick. Especially babies. Meaning you.


You also got to play with your friend Tiernan who started to go to Miss Collette's. Tiernan is only a month younger than you, so it's REALLY cute to watch the two of you together.


We had lots of grumpy days as you were sick and then had your first two teeth come in. So, when that happens, we just strap you right on to us. It seems to help, at least for a little while so we can get some things done.




We also celebrated your first valentine's day! You got to wear the same shirt your brother sported for his first valentine's day. We were going to go out to celebrate (we being your poppy and I), but you were two miserable with those dang teeth. You ended up having a giant fever on Valentine's day and were a hot mess. But, you did have two new teeth to show for it!




Owen and you also continued to form your bond this month. I would say Owen is a little bit less of a bully to you, but you are WAY more infatuated with him. He just cracks you up. It's way too cute.


It's pretty special to watch you, Owen, and your poppy play. I know someday that the three of you are going to wrestle and make me just CRINGE, so I like this more "mellow" play now.


And then there are the times that Owen tries to yank you out of your swing... or how about the time he dumped you out of your carseat so you face planted on the wood floors. Whoops. Mom fail. (I turned around just in time to see you eat it... I have to admit that it was a little bit funny to see you face plant. YOU WERE FINE).


Mostly, though, he is a very good brother to you. He loves to cuddle with you and is very protective of you. And, best of all, he loves to make YOU laugh as much as you love to have him make you laugh. I have a feeling this bond is going to be pretty deep. Related: I can't wait until you both entertain EACH OTHER.  


Sleep. Ugh. I don't even want to talk about it. I guess there's nothing to jinx at this point.



Between being sick and teething, and growing like mad, you got used to having to sleep upright on us (IE: ME). I guess that just happened when you were sick because you couldn't lay on your back due to the copious amounts of snot. But, because you got used to it then, and then that turned in to teething misery, you haven't wanted to STOP sleeping on me. And because at some point, I just want to sleep, I have allowed it. I'm not going to let you scream when I know you're already miserable. Ahh, vicious cycle.


And so, there has been lots and lots of cuddling.




A rare moment in your crib...which has lasted about 2.5 seconds in the past month.


And then it turns in to this...


And then this.


And although, you REFUSE your crib, you fall asleep in our bed. Huh. Perplexing.


All of this to say: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the cuddles... and may even miss them some day (will definitely miss them someday)... but please, please start sleeping. PLEASE. (Oh yeah, because did I mention that even though you sleep ON me, you also are up every 2-3 hours?)


Good thing you are too cute. Other than the sleep thing, you are still such a delightful, mellow baby.


And lucky enough for us, we are able to survive on minimal sleep right now and still enjoy the days with you and your brother.


I am so loving your emerging personality. You are so light hearted... you love to laugh and give us huge smiles every day (now not so toothless).  You really aren't a grouchy baby at all, even despite how grumpy you've been through your cold and teething.


I've learned the lesson time and time again through the past few years that time with kids is expedited. Two years feels like two minutes in retrospect.

We currently have no sleep and feel like walking zombies. It's a miracle that we still have jobs because god knows some days I'm staring at my computer like "What am I supposed to be doing here?" and I know your dad does the same thing in the gym. We manage to try to squeeze in "us" time when we can but it's hard to try to manage dates or workouts or any of that self care when you get a fractioned 4 hours of sleep a night. We are living on chips and chocolate because in our sleep deprived states, our bodies crave the quick hit sugar and carbs and clean eating is all but impossible. It's a freaking miracle we aren't also 300 pounds. BUT.

My point is this: IT GOES SO FAST. We are going to look back on this in a year from now and be like "oh yeah, that sucked, but wasn't it only a few days?" Our memories will be fuzzy and it's going to seem like no time at all. That's the thing about kids. No matter how long something seems at the time, in reality, it's only a short stage and gone way too soon. As much as I'd love to sleep now, in a year from now I'd probably give anything to have even half of the cuddles I'm getting now.


It's bittersweet, this motherhood thing... but mostly sweet. Another thing that I've learned about kids is that even though every stage seems to just fly by too fast for me to even try to grasp it, I've also learned that just as I'm starting to mourn that fact and the passing of a stage, the next phase hits and it always, ALWAYS is better than the last.

Love,
Mama.

No comments: