Saturday, May 26, 2012

Week 26


We are edging closer and closer to 7 months. It blows my mind at how fast these 9-10 months are going by. Some days it seems like forever, but mostly it feels like the next thing I know, he is going to be here. Crazy.



Week 26 picture, view 1


Week 26 picture, view 2


And week 25 picture. Looks funny compared to week 26- I think the baby must have been sitting funny to make my stomach pooch out more in week 25. Pretty cute.

How I'm feeling?
Pretty much just quite large.

I also had some weird sort of cold thing this week. It wasn't a full blown cold but for a good day I was convinced that it was going to be. I sneezed about 4,000,000 times an hour and felt a bit like crap (achy and just wanted chicken noodle soup for one night) but nothing ever materialized. I did eat some raw garlic so maybe that was just enough to get me over the hurdle between actually getting sick and not getting sick. I'm glad I stayed on the healthy side... I can't remember the last time I had a cold and I would not like to add that to my "things I did while pregnant" list. No thanks.

This week marks the end of the "honeymoon" trimester and starts the beginning of the last trimester... what is known to be the really uncomfortable one. We shall see, but somehow I think that's probably an entirely accurate description.

How I'm changing?
The whole belly button inverting and hair thickness things are still blowing my mind this week. Both are products of continued hormones and continuing to get larger. It's also getting harder and harder to bend over, you know, even to put socks on.

I also experienced my first braxton hicks contraction. Weird. It's very odd as you basically just feel your belly get really tight. Also a necessary sign that your body is preparing itself for labor.
 
What I'm eating?
After I mentioned pitas in last week's blog post, they made a comeback to my diet. Sounded so good. So, I ate quite a few pitas last week with hummus and veggies. Delish.Other than that, pretty much just been eating normally.
Weight I'm gaining? 
I am officially part of the 140 club. Oh man. Everything says that I should have gained 16-22 pounds by now... um, check. From here on out, apparently I'm supposed to gain 1/2 inch in belly size a WEEK. Seriously?

How I'm sleeping?
Great, really nothing too notable here. The baby seems to get active right before I go to sleep but it hasn't seem to impair my ability to fall asleep. I guess I'm just going to sleep well while I still can.

What's the baby doing?
-The baby is 14 inches and 1.75 pounds, or the size of a hothouse cucumber
-The baby's lungs and brain continue to develop more and more and he can hear outside voices better and sense light 
-Basically from here on out, everything is developed, the baby is just growing and preparing for the outside world.

What we are doing to prepare for the baby?
-We are still in our baby classes which manage to freak me out on a weekly basis. Since it is a natural birthing class, there is really no holding back on what has or hasn't happened in labor to the "general" population of women who go through labor. Some things seem manageable, others just seem beyond comprehension until I actually live through it. What it comes down to is that I really just have no idea what to expect out of my labor and that thought alone, as someone who likes control, scares the bejeebus out of me. We are still debating a doula....
-We also went to our midwives for our monthly appointment. It was also the glucose test. And WOW. Yuck. That stuff was SO sweet. Again, it's an optional test but one they look for you to have done if you get transferred to a hospital so better to be safe than sorry. Also good to know if you are prone to gestational diabetes so you can modify your diet. I got no call back which was the sign for all clear. But WOAH. That stuff gave me such a headache. I'm pretty sure I haven't eaten or drank that much sugar in YEARS.
-We've also wrapped up our registry stuff for the most part and have our three registries down- Amazon, Buy buy baby (a midwest store that is owned by Bed Bath and Beyond), and Target. I'm still not totally sure that we have all the bases covered or really, totally what we were doing, but at least we have something. I will say that when we were in Missouri and registering at Buy buy baby, the people there were extremely helpful and informative.
Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)
I totally freaked out at the midwives this week because as I was leaving, the midwife said "well, we'll see you in two weeks." Huh? I'm on a monthly schedule. She says, "nope, you are now on the every two weeks schedule-it's that time. Welcome to the 3rd trimester." It was a total whack into reality, one that I wasn't quite prepared for...but, here we are and we need to get cracking. The second trimester went entirely way too fast and I'm sure the third will too. Time to get this party started (meaning, get our shit organized so that we are ready to meet this little guy).