Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Week 24


This post is a little bit (like a week) late... blame trying to catch up from Hawaii coupled with another trip to the midwest and I am totally behind. In fact, I just told someone today I was only 24 weeks pregnant when tomorrow I will be 26 weeks. There goes those two weeks! Luckily, thanks to handy iphones, I still have all notes from week 24 so here is the back track:


Week 24, view 1.

Week 24, view 2.


And week 23 for comparison...sidenote: I MISS HAWAII.

How I'm feeling?
Huge. I'm just going to say this from here on out, deal?

Week 24 was spent partly in Hawaii. I discussed some of it in the week 23 post but here's the remainder: while in Hawaii, we spent a lot of time at the ocean. You know what? Pregnant people have more sensitive skin. WHO KNEW. I swear, I put on about a bottle of sunscreen every 2.5 seconds but I still burned the hell out of myself. I even had a hat on and we sat under an umbrella. TORCHED. Part of this was due to when we hiked through lava fields (meaning no shade) for about 10 miles... it was windy so I didn't even think I could burn. Yep, I burned. Bad. Skin cancer risk = increased. Whoops.

We also went on the same hike we went on in August last year after we got married. We did it pretty much in the same amount of time that we did last August. For 6 months pregnant that's pretty good. I will say it was MUCH harder. MUCH.

Also: swimming is awesome. Your body feels weightless.
How I'm changing?
I have noticed that my hair has finally caught on to the whole pregnancy thing... it's thick and luscious! YES!
 
What I'm eating?
I ate my weight in pancakes in Hawaii. They were AMAZING. Definitely an indulgence but seriously awesome. Other than that, I spent much of the time in Hawaii eating fish and other Hawaiian foods. One of my favorite dinners there was grilling out on our lanai with Justin- some steak and vegetables. It was not really a typical Hawaiian meal but after a day of hiking and playing in the ocean, it was so good.

Weight I'm gaining? 
I weighed myself post Hawaii and was at 138, about where I expected...I think maybe part of that is the pancakes. I am almost to the 140 club which still blows my mind. If I was "supposed" to be 120 when I started, does that mean I've only gained 20 pounds? We are going to go with that. My starting weight seems to be creeping up the more weight I gain... funny how that happens.


How I'm sleeping? 
Pretty awesome... I think the vacation has something to do with it.

What's the baby doing?
-The baby is 12.5 inches long or the size of a piece of corn and weighs 1.25 pounds. Um, that means my kid is a FOOT long?? No way.
-The baby's respiratory system continues to grow and develop in preparation for breathing even though for now most of the oxygen still comes from the placenta.
-The baby still has translucent skin but that will change soon.
-If the baby is born, he/she is officially considered viable if born (meaning it would live).

What we are doing to prepare for the baby?
-Nothing! We were on vacation! (so we were mostly enjoying this last long distance pre-baby trip).  Yeah, we should probably get on the ball for doing stuff soon... post Hawaii...

Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)
We decided while in Hawaii that post baby we are going to fly my parents out to Washington or give Justin's parents a "treat" to stay at our house with the baby so we can go on post-baby alone vacations. I think this is a genius idea!