Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Paradise day #2, April 27, 2012

Ah, these pictures make me miss Hawaii. Especially as it pours down rain in Seattle...


The second day in Maui, we got up and since we had no food in the condo, we decided to go out for breakfast. We first drove past a rather highly rated placed that basically looked like a shack that could cave in on itself at any minute. Being that I am sort of sensitive (or maybe snobby) to what I deem as "weird" hole in the walls, we ventured elsewhere. We settled on Duo, a place renowed for the breakfast buffet and it actually ended up being a great choice as we got to walk along the beachfront to the restaurant.


...and we had a pretty great view once we were there.


Another shot of Justin... we both decided on the buffet since it got such stellar reviews and even for $35 a pop, it was pretty amazing. I am still drooling over the pancakes I had that the guy there made for me right in front of my face, complete with coconut syrup. AMAZING.


A picture of Justin before we walked back to our car. After breakfast, we headed to Safeway to pick up some necessary snacks and food. We had decided to have a beach day so we also needed some beach snacks.



Complete with rum for some fruity drinks for Justin... and of course, once we got home, he had to try them out to make sure they were ok.


Apparently rum at 10am does not taste so fabulous. We then packed up and headed straight to the beach. We were sort of dumb, though, as we didn't bring our umbrella and it was totally sunny on this day. So of course, we both got decently burnt despite coating on the sunscreen (apparently pregnant women are more prone to sunburn?? Who knew). We spent a big chunk of the day running in and out of the ocean and reading by the ocean before saying enough was enough and heading home to relax on the lanai out of the sun.



Evenutally we made the decision to walk to dinner. We had looked at Duo's menu for dinner at breakfast and it was in both of our heads. So, yes, we went back to the same place for dinner as we had gone for breakfast. I had the great idea to walk there...I figured it was a good idea since we hadn't done much all day and it was really only 1.5 miles each way.


It was an absolutely goregous sunset walk there... 


And one more...


And once there we settled in for the evening...glass of wine for Justin, sparkling water for me. Then, I had fish and Justin also had some fish along with some local Maui beef that was amazing. I always forget to take pictures of the food part but luckily this isn't a food blog so who cares.


We also had a great sunset at the restaurant.


And we ended the night with a GIANT thing of cotton candy (that, truthfully, we didn't touch but it's one of the things the restaurant hands out, like bread....interesting). We then realized we had to walk 1.5 miles home on full stomachs, in the dark. IT.WAS.MISERABLE. I think if Justin wasn't so miserable himself, he would have gloated about how right he was in that it was not a smart idea to walk to dinner. But luckily he didn't do that as I was in too much pain and probably would have decked him if he had even tried to gloat. I wore flip flops and my feet are unaccustomed to such exposed footwear. So much so, that by the time I got home both of the bottoms of my feet were bleeding and I had giant blisters on them. But, we made it (barely) and cuddled the rest of the night... along with something that we heard in our condo that we thought was a bird squaking. We thought maybe either our condo was haunted or the bird had gotten in through the eaves and was going to die there. It was a little freaky and we both felt bad for it. More on the bird thing in later Hawaii posts.