Sunday, May 27, 2012

Paradise day #3, April 28, 2012

This was probably my favorite day that we spent in Maui. My birthday was pretty awesome too but this day was pretty incredible. We decided to get up first thing and go on a hike on west Maui. Conincidentally, it was the same hike we went on in August after our wedding (see post on that hike here). We wanted to do it again because it was so awesome and I was only slightly hesitant as I knew what we were in for so I was a little concerned that at 6 months pregnant it was going to be rough.


Beginning of the trail...I believe it is about 7 miles round trip. Before we started, we had to get really good at peeing in the wilderness. Or rather, YOURS TRULY, had to get really good at peeing in the wilderness since at that time I had not peed in about 1.2 hours and that is about my max time of not peeing in this preggo state. Fortunately, one of my good friends taught me the best pee trick when you are in the woods. Unfortunately for me, it requires a tree and there were none of those around. Needless to say, we made it to the trail head with empty bladders. Probably more than I really needed to say about that...





A view of the valley as we got in to the hike. What we love about this hike is that it starts off farmy (thus the no tree thing), then gets into trees (like our Washington woods), then opens into these types of views, and eventually you get to the top of these peaks where you have views of the whole island. It's pretty amazing.


My cute husband hiking... Maui coastline in the background.


And another...



Beautiful Maui coast...


And mountains...


Eventually we made it to the top where a nice guy from Florida took our picture. And yep, I sure did hike in a bikini again. And white shorts (last time it was a white bikini). No shame in hikining in a bikini at 6 months preggo. It was hot!


And one more shot... we looked at our watches and couldn't believe it but we made it to the top in the same amount of time as we did when I was not pregnant in August. YES! Not that that was an expectation but I was still pretty impressed with myself although I will say that it was SO much harder being pregnant and attempting to hike.


We continued our drive around the west point of Maui... it's a pretty cool drive but also, there is an AMAZING banana bread stand that we (me) had to stop at again. First part of the drive: Hawaii cows.


And gorgeous views!

One more shot of the amazing scenery.  We eventually made it around the island, got our banana bread, and headed straight to the eastside where we packed up snacks, drinks, and beach gear (this time complete with umbrella) and went to the ocean where we spent the remainder of the day. Only at one point did it get a little traumatic as I failed big time at going under a wave and instead let it completely mutilate me... the waves were really big that day and one came at me and I was sort of an idiot and just watched it. Flipped around, had a wild ride, got the beejebus scared out of me all while Justin sat and watched my feet flip around in the air. Regardless, it was still a pretty amazing few hours at the ocean.  


A shot of Justin in the water right before sunset (and a few more to follow)...


(not sure what the gray thing is all about... iphone photo)...



After watching the sunset, we headed home to grill vegetables and steaks and relaxed for the evening. It was pretty amazing.