Sunday, May 29, 2011

First hike of the season.

On a not so sunny Seattle memorial day weekend (shocker!), a group of friends, including Justin and I, decided to go hiking. It was the first hike of the season for Justin and I, in the case that you skipped over the title of this post. And since we just go balls out in most things we do, we opted for a rather challenging hike to hit it off. It isn't the MOST challenging, it's just probably not one I would recommend anyone to start off with if they have never hiked or haven't hiked in a while. But it also doesn't have snow right now and most others still do. So, Justin, Jen, Katie, Shawn and I all met up bright and early to head to the mountains for our 8 mile trek. I was stressed the whole night before thinking I was going to be so slow and my stupid stress fracture would act up and make it miserable. BUT, good news! We FLEW up. And it felt awesome. Justin, Jen, and I broke off from Katie and Shawn and made it up in 1.5 hours. Pretty good for the first time this season.


A shot of Jen as she's climbing up to the peak.

And Justin, actually right before we got to the peak. Whoops, pictures are not in order. Oh well.
Jen and our water boy friend we met in the last mile who joined our group for the last push up.

And, Jen and Justin at the top.

Us at the top! After sufficiently freezing our asses off for about 5 minutes up there (notice: the WINTER HAT and yucky weather...), we took off down the mountain. We FLEW down. Literally ran the whole way. This was not the best idea. Going up was awesome. Going down? BRUTAL. Literally, the next 2 days, the three of us were like three peas in 100 year old pods. Couldn't walk, couldn't work out, couldn't move. It HURT. And it was all the impact of running down a mountain for 4 miles (I know, I know, this sounds stupid and we SHOULD have known...take it easy on the first one. We aren't really take it easy kind of people though). It was so much fun though and I'm sure there will be many more hikes to come this summer.

No comments: