Saturday, May 28, 2011

An attempt at a green thumb.

Earlier this month, we got "spring ambitious." Or rather, I did. I started to clean up our back little yard (more like a courtyard, really) and casually mentioned to Justin's mom that I was going to plant some flowers back there. I really intended to but didn't have a clue what I was doing. Well, whether she meant to or not, she really made it happen! She brought up flowers, we went and bought some more and we got to work (after Justin, Oliver and I spent about 3 hours weeding and cleaning up the backyard). The finished product:


Wall flowers...

One shot of the backyard...

And the other side. Let me just say: after killing 2 basil plants in 2 months, having live plants and flowers out back and out front is a little scary. Almost as scary as the icky black and yellow salamander I picked up while weeding only to have it wiggle out of my grasp (YUCK!!) or the frog that lives in our little pond waterfall back there. Actually, he was sort of cute. But really, how is gardening something that women like? I did NOT enjoy all of the bugs and critters. And holy hell, it was hard work!! But I do love the yard now... it's much more colorful and clean and crisp. I just hope to god I don't kill everything... keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: