Sunday, May 1, 2011

Last year of the 20s...

April 29 was my 29th birthday and it was a good day. I took the day off of work and Justin had a free morning, too, so we went on a walk around Kirkland along the water (where we had both sun AND rain- hi, welcome to the erratic state of Washington weather), stopped and got muffins and coffee (mainly for the warmth), then he sent me off to a one and a half hour massage while he was at work. OH MY, it felt SO GOOD. I left the massage feeling rather out of it because I was so relaxed.

I mean, seriously. I have had massages before but I've never been quite that loopy afterwards. I went to whole foods to pick up a couple of things and as I was checking out, I told the checker that I'd just come from a massage and I was a little out of it. 5 seconds later as I was trying to pay, my debit card kept being declined. UM, I am looking at my card and it is my debit card. WTF? So he looks at it and says, "um, ma'am [sidenote, really? Am I old enough to elicit a ma'am? Ugh], this card expired in January 2011."

OH. Uh huh. Well, that would explain it.

In my delirious state, I somehow went to a place in my wallet where I NEVER keep my current debit card but pulled the old one. Why I haven't chucked it anyway, I do not know. But. There you have it: proof of the massage that made me resemble some form of being high. The legal kind of high. It felt so good. I swear, all of my muscles were turned into mush. Oh, and the best part of the whole story? My hair looked like I was trying some new fad. Sort of the electrical light socket sort of look. I sort of noticed it but really didn't care in the state I was in. When I got home and looked in to the mirror? Oh, that poor boy at whole foods. He must have thought that I was just your every day nut job. Once I got home, I took a shower, then went shopping, and then headed over to Seattle to pick up Oliver for the weekend.  

We got home, met Justin there and decided to open up the birthday wine Justin had gotten me- a syrah. Mmmm.
As we were drinking wine, we were making dinner... Salmon, mashed sweet potatoes, veggies. Probably one of my top 3 favorite meals, if not my most favorite. Perfect for my birthday.
And then, the next best part: dessert. And then I gained 400 pounds instantly and died. The end. Justin bought about 500 million different types of chocolate desserts so I got to experience my second high of the day: a chocolate sugar induced high. It was fabulous.
After all of that excitement, I opened some presents, including a sweet card from my boy. It was truly a great day. Birthdays are so much fun and I'm very blessed to have the life I do and to be surrounded by the people who are in my life.
Later that weekend after the second annual dog party Saturday night at Stacie and Rich's (see here), and hanging out more with Oliver, we took Oliver home and got these great views on the mountain pass. Still some snow but looking more and more like spring even in the mountains.
And one more... All in all, it was a great weekend with good friends, good food, good wine, two amazing boys. If this weekend was any indication, I'd say the last year of my twenties is going to be incredible. I can't wait.

No comments: