Saturday, April 10, 2010

Puking the guts out...

Does anyone know my thing with puke? Have I ever talked about this publicly? No, I haven't? That's surprisingly given my extreme barf-phobia.

I'm not really sure what my problem is. As a kid I was RARELY sick, especially of the throw up variety. I HATED IT. And even more so than I hated throwing up (I mean, really, who doesn't?), I HATED HATED HATED when other people did. I had a year in, oh, like 2nd grade when everyone in my class was puking and my brother was puking and my mom was puking, and well, I think that that scarred me or something.

When I got into college, my first criteria of my college roommate was "are you a puker?" NOT EVEN KIDDING, I KNOW, it's messed up. BUT BUT! HAHA! She almost asked me the same question AT.THE.SAME.TIME. We knew at that moment that we were fated to be together.

As I've grown older, and gotten animals, I've had to really teach myself to deal with puke. And I can now, I couldn't at first.... I'd run out of the room and come back to be the clean up crew. I think it's the motion/sound that bugs me. I myself have only thrown up twice in my adult life, both as a result of alcohol so I don't totally remember one of those times, the other I do but I felt better afterward and I also have a paramedic for husband so he was very good at sitting with me (and then giving me an IV). Luckily also, Tim 1 never puked when I was with him and Tim 2 hasn't either in 3 years...

UNTIL....

April 9, 2010.

Oh MAN.

Let's just say we will probably not be going back to Thai food again and that food poisoning is one of the most violent illnesses EVER. We went to Thai food that night and at 2am that morning, I'm awakened my Tim telling me he feels incredibly sick and is going to go camp out in the downstairs bathroom (he knows how I am with puke). About 10 minutes later, he is DEFINITELY puking his guts out and I am sitting upstairs uncontrollably shaking and trying to figure out if I will hurt myself by jumping out of the window (no, I am not kidding, I seriously have a problem). After he's done, I still shake for another hour but I go downstairs to make sure he is ok, like I said, I'm ok with the clean up crew part. He knows it's food poisoning as he felt sick right after eating Thai (he ate some chicken, I didn't, so we think it was that). He got sick again another couple of hours later.... and I pretty much stayed awake all night and shook. Ok, seriously? How am I ever going to have kids and deal with projectile vomit??! I wouldn't want to throw the kid or something!

Eek. Needless to say I have a lot of work to do to get used to puke before I even remotely consider having kids.

Tim now feels much better, but was out of commission for about 4 days. And says he will never go back to that Thai place again. Understandable and I totally agree. That sucked for both of us.

No comments: