Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The experiment into determining if I have a green thumb.

Seeing how April was my birthday month, I decided upon one trip to Whole Foods that I would like to buy some plants...because it's my birthday month and I can do whatever I want, right?! And plants, as in, food plants. That I GROW. And then EAT. A sort of mini-foray into gardening, something I NEVER even REMOTELY thought I would try out. I mean the thought of dirt and digging and watering and growing is something I grew up with and while I loved the benefits of eating all of those yummy things, I really didn't want to do the work to do get to that point. (I was the kid who HATED dirt under my nails).

So you can see why when I mentioned this to Tim, he laughed at me. Until he saw my face and said, "oh you're actually serious." Well, yes, I am. And he said, "Is this going to be another phase that lasts for a brief time and then the plants die or will you actually take care of them?" At which point I rolled my eyes and thought to myself how ridiculous men are at times, especially when they might just be right. But, regardless, I was determined. We have more of what I call a "desert landscape" meaning rocks in our backyard (weird since we are in the pacific northwest and that type of yard is common in, oh, Phoenix) BUT, alas, I do have two perfectly empty large pots and a little grower thing on the house (YES, grower thing is what it's called). So I bought 3 plants to try out. 2 organic tomato plants (are these trees or bushes or plants? I do not know) and a little basil guy. I really had no clue what I was doing but when I got home we put them on the back porch and immediately Tim asks, "well, are you going to plant them?"

Ummm.... ugh. I was hoping to avoid that part.

BUT THEN! He pulled out some gloves! SCORE! Yes, I believe I will plant my plants then. Remember, the dirt under nails thing? Dislike. But, gloves=no dirt. Where did these come from anyway!? Apparently Tim bought them one time at Home Depot thinking I might need them if we ever were to do yard work. Huh. Anyway, I popped those babies into some organic dirt and plant food that we bought and then I watered them and told them to grow. I might have forgotten about them for a few weeks or I might not have realized that I had to water them EVERY DAY. Oops. So, at this point in time, the basil has passed on and didn't make it but the tomato plants are going strong. We'll see if/when we get actually tomatoes how they turn out. I'm pretty sure I was never meant to be a farmer but I do think it's totally cool to grow your own veggies so I'm hoping this experience works and I can branch out into different veggies next year. Oh, I did also buy some seeds for cucumbers and broccoli. That seemed a little bit too difficult to try for right now... Maybe after we see how the tomatoes do...

A shot of our favorite store... And where we bought the little plants.

Buying the dirt, plant food, tomato plant and basil.

And in the cart ready to go.

The little basil in the grower thing on the side of the house. Too bad that little plant didn't make it.

And one tomato plant!

Tomato plant number two... I can't believe how much bigger they are now after seeing these pictures. I guess that I must be doing something right since they are actually growing, even with my sporadic watering skills (not sure that skills should be the operative word here).

Close up of the basil....before it died.

Oh, and some nice tulips in the yard...that I did not plant...but they are pretty anyway.

No comments: