Monday, April 26, 2010

Kansas City quick trip- April 23-26, 2010

Tim and I decided at the beginning of April to head back to Kansas City the weekend of April 23-26 for my grandpa's 96th birthday celebration. A lot of family was coming in for the event so we decided we should probably be there too. It was a whirlwind of a weekend!

We got in at 5pm on Friday night and had dinner with my parents and brother.


A bonus! Birthday cake for me since my birthday is at the end of the month. And my favorite too, german chocolate. Yum!

The next day we got up bright and early to make the trek up to Lamoni, Iowa. My aunt and uncle and grandparents live in Iowa so it was decided it would be a good location for the birthday celebration as there was some family coming from Kansas City, some from Minnesota and some from all over the country (like us). Lamoni is about a 2 hour drive from Kansas City. After a little delay due to some people (ahem, Jon) oversleeping, we finally got on the road.

While we were there we went to the Amish furniture store (Lamoni has a lot of Amish). Holy crap, I didn't want to go, but I was BLOWN away by the quality of their furniture. I wish I was closer so I could buy some of it (seriously!)

I'm not really sure what picture this is exactly but somewhere we stopped while we were out- my cousin took it (thank god she is such a good picture taker....otherwise this post would not have much picture documentation)....

And of course, Iowa cow statues.

Timmy and I swinging....

My cousin Danika and her daughter Katie (who I guess is my second cousin). Katie wasn't feeling very well...she had a sinus infection/cold thing... that, subsequently, I think Tim and I actually caught about a week later. Boo! We felt so bad for little Katie though.

We also played a fun game of cards, of course! Grandma, cousin Anne, mom.

Tim and I were partners. We didn't win but I think we may have come in 2nd.

Brother Jon and cousin Chanda- they won the card game.

My cousin Anne's baby, Connor- such a cutie!

All of us hanging around, playing with the kids and waiting for the birthday party to start later in the evening.

My cousin Danika's other daughter, Lilly...she is so much fun!

And again... I have no idea what we were looking at.

The birthday celebration was at Graceland, the university I went to. It was so weird being back on campus. I haven't been back in several years. Crazy how much things change but still stay the same, if that makes sense.

A picture of my immediate family with my grandma, grandpa, and grandpa's sister, Margaret.


And us!

A picture of all of the cousins... so cool to see everyone older and how much everyone has grown up.


Not sure why but Lilly thought it was fun to crawl through my legs. I'm used to this from Bella. It made me laugh.


The birthday celebration was so nice...dinner, pictures, videos and toasts to grandpa. We ended up leaving Lamoni around 8pm and got back to Kansas City around 10pm. Tim and I got in a few hours of sleep and were up and headed to the airport by 7am. I'm telling you- it was a WHIRLWIND. Always so good to see family though.

No comments: