Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pre-birthday, April 27, 2010

For my birthday this year, I decided to take a little trip down south to warmer weather, to a place that was near and dear to my heart for many years: Orange County, California. The plan was to go for a long weekend, leaving April 28 through May 1. Then we'd have Sunday, May 2nd to relax before heading back to work. I was super excited to be going until I realized that the flight out on the 28th was at 8AM, not 8PM. OOOOH, the ruckus this caused at work. BECAUSE, shocking, on the 27th I was informed of a firedrill that HAD.TO.BE.DONE.RIGHT.THEN. and OMG even though you're going to be out Thursday/Friday which, by the way, was communicated A MONTH AGO, those 8 hours on the 28th make you an un-team player! Nope, you've worked your ARSE off for 5 fucking months straight but this one day? Jenn's not a team player! $#*&$# Can anyone sense my frustration??

And mind you, I had ZERO 4/30 deadlines, ZERO, until April 27. Start firedrill. And all the partners were out at a partner retreat for two days that week so that was awesome timing too. But, hey, cool, I'll take the wrath for those 8 hours. Jesus.

(No one really expected this to start off with a rant, huh? Me either. But that pretty much sums up the whole "pre-birthday" that was).

Anyway. So I come home from work on the 27th after doing as much as I possibly could to get the project as close as possible to complete in my absence with a small list of things for the staff to do. WHICH SHOULD BE FINE...it's why we are a TEAM, RIGHT?! We start packing and I get pinged with an email which basically made me burst into tears. (I love my job I love my job I love my job. NOTE: repeating that does not create reality, at least in this instance). So, after dinner and doing some of the pre-birthday stuff we had planned to do (which was slightly overshadowed at this point), I pulled an all nighter and worked. OK, I lie, it was not truly an all nighter, I took a nap from about 2am-3am before getting up at 4am to get to the office by 4:30am and then to leave for the airport by 6:30am.

Oh and the best part? I STILL GOT SHIT even though I DEFINITELY made up those 8 hours on that all nighter. And EVEN though I had NO WARNING WHATSOEVER that this project was popping its ugly head again this week. I said that I had already had the worst week of busy season? This day more than surpassed that week. AWFUL. And seriously? Worst project hands down of all busy season.

I couldn't have been happier to have gone to California that day. It's a small wonder that I even made it back. I might have left holding up a middle finger.... and been thinking that I would never return...

Anyway, pictures below from the pre-birthday celebration:

The spread of presents, cake, flowers and card from Timmy. You'll recognize the cake from prior birthdays if you are a regular follower of this blog (see here for cake from last year...pretty similar, right?) German chocolate from a local bakery, Hoffmans, my favorite. SO GOOD.

A picture of the pretty flowers.

Close up of the yummy cake. The only disappointing part of this was that we didn't get to eat it all because we had to leave town. And seriously? Stale cake does NOT = fresh cake.

Dinner that night... not too exciting but what I wanted. Salad filled with tons of fresh veggies, veggie burger with tomato and cheese and organic whole wheat mac and cheese. Don't make fun. I LOVE mac and cheese.


Since we were flying, we decided to do a couple of presents early.

One was a great surprise! A camera! Sweet! If you remember, in October I dropped my camera in the sand in Hawaii and have been only using my iphone since. Not the best quality of pictures. This was VERY exciting! And the best part? The new one is sand proof, and water proof too!

The second present... hmmm.... what's in here?

White true religion jeans! LOVE. I've been wanting a pair of white jeans for a while but couldn't find any I liked. Awesome!! And hello swollen eyes. Geez. At this point, I had already been sufficiently freaking out....

Sometime around 10pm, working. The night was still young.... Yuck. Not a good memory of that night.

No comments: