Thursday, April 29, 2010

California Day 2- Happy birthday to me!

Our second day in gorgeous Orange County, it was my 28th birthday! I LOVE birthdays. LOVE LOVE. Especially when I am 2000 miles away from the job from hell (or the job from hell on April 27 in specific...generally, I actually do love my job, just not that day).

On the morning of my birthday we woke up at 6am. Not kidding. It was like sleeping in since we're used to be being up at 4am. And it was pretty great because we got to see a gorgeous sunrise from our ocean view room. I'll let the pictures that follow tell the story of the day, with some added commentary, of course:

The sunrise that we watched when we woke up. Stunning.

Around 7am, we decided to walk down the beach to a cute little cafe we saw the day before to go to breakfast. It was AMAZING. Here I am drinking my morning tea. And sitting outside (novel idea to those of us stuck perpetually inside in Seattle!)

Sugar shack sign and Timmy.

For breakfast Tim had an egg white burrito with cheese, veggies, and a side of fruit. It was really tasty.

I had a GIGANTIC bowl of oatmeal (no way in hell did I finish it) and a side of fruit.

And since I am a total sweet tooth queen, we also shared a cinnamon roll. It was definitely my birthday.
After breakfast, we were sufficiently stuffed so we decided to do a nice, long beach workout run. It doesn't even feel like a workout with views like this!

And more beach... at the end of our run, we ran into a dog beach! There were several puppies there that were playing (off leash, since it's a dog beach). So much fun. I think we went about 8-10 miles or so and then we rushed back because our next stop of birthday fun was a massage. Mmmm. Seriously, do massages feel better after a hard workout? I don't think so! We went to the Hyatt pacific waters spa which was right next door to where we stayed at the Hilton. It was super nice! The massage I got was very nice, but WOW, I had some MAJOR knots. It was a combination massage of deep tissue and swedish and some of the deep tissue spots had me CRINGING. My body felt like it had worked out all kinks but there were some moments that weren't exactly relaxing.
After we got back from the massage and ate a small snack then got cleaned up (in my new white jeans!), we opened the remaining birthday present that had made it onto the plane with us! The first thing I pulled out? A new coach purse, score! It's one of their new line and I LOVE IT! I hadn't even seen it yet at the store so that was pretty cool. I was happy with just that but when I was opening the purse to check out the interior, THERE.WERE.MORE.SURPRISES. I got a battery pack case for my iphone so that I don't have to charge my phone a billion times a day AND....
A small package? And in a small package a small wooden box? Hmm.... What could that be?? Oh man, .75 carat each diamond earrings. Ahhhh!

After the birthday fun excitement, we took off to explore around south orange county before heading to dinner.

Eventually we made it to our reservations at Mastros Ocean club on the ocean... sort of on the Newport/Laguna lines. GREAT restaurant and this was where we sat.

Mmmm... birthday wine, with the new earrings in.

And a cocktail to start for Tim.

We had an AMAZING dinner... Lots of veggies, some seabass, and the AMAZING pound cake dessert above.

And what was even better? The sunset over the ocean. It was my perfect idea of what a birthday should be like and I felt so blessed to have spent it the way I did... and to hear from so many friends/family on that day sending love on that day.

No comments: