Monday, July 20, 2009

Seems like there are a lot of stupid people lately...

I'm pretty sure that we got raped by our landlord. We had to meet with him to do a final walkthrough. Did I talk about the sun spot before? I don't remember and I'm too lazy to look. Anyway, on the (cheap, disgusting, 10 year old) linoleum floor (which by the way is WHITE), we put a rug down. In front of the sink. Well, come to find out when the sun beats in on it every day for a year, it dyes this disgusting linoleum a faint yellow color.

I might add that a) you can't see the discoloration in a photo b) you can hardly tell when you're standing over it c) we had to buy rugs to cover burns in the floor/stains on the carpet from prior tenants.

Our landlord told us he had to replace the ENTIRE kitchen floor due to the discoloration (and also, note that the rug was NOT that big). Come to find out the other burns and stains were caused by him when he lived there which is why the floors haven't been replaced before. So, since he has already tried to take advantage of us by raising the rent, we feel like he is just trying to take advantage of us more by trying to replace the whole kitchen floor when it doesn't need to be (or when he could just cover the spots with rugs, like we had to). He tries to tell us that we owe $1200 then realizes we are not paying for it (and knows that we are right in refusing to). So the only thing we lost was our $600 deposit which I really don't care about. For me, it's not about the money, it's just the principle. I feel like he was taking advantage of us and that's what was making me the most mad. Ugh. I'm just glad to be out of there and done with him.

No comments: