Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Pregnancy Round 2: Body after baby, sometime after 6 months post partum.

I haven't done one of these posts in a while. I'd like to say that it's just because I didn't care and wasn't worried about my body post partum. But that would be an outright lie.


To be totally honest, I struggle a lot post partum with body image. A LOT. I think it's partly because I have always felt pretty good about my body and post partum, I just don't recognize it. Things are in weird places, it feels weird, I have weird injuries (hello stupid neuroma), I crave/have to eat weird foods due to breastfeeding, it's just all catty whompus. (I probably murdered the spelling of that). I am not one of those people who lose weight naturally breastfeeding. I just don't. Perhaps it's because I was pretty thin prior to both pregnancies, but with Owen I retained about 10 pounds until I stopped breastfeeding (and HI! Then I was pregnant again!) and with B it's the same situation (not pregnant but these last dang 5-10 pounds WILL.NOT.GO.


It's seemed WAY harder this time around too. Maybe partly because I've had 2 kids to chase around and am more tired, maybe partly because I haven't been able to try as hard. Mostly it's because I really like chocolate.


On a positive note, I think although the weight doesn't seem to be falling off as quickly this time around, I am WAY stronger. I have muscles in places I've NEVER had muscles before. My arms and back have drawn attention from multiple people in the gym. I'm lifting more weights than I ever have (like how heavy they are), and I am really pleased with the muscle I've gained. I'm not bulky, but toned. So naturally, I'm not going to be 115 pounds like I was... but I'll be heavier and more toned due to more muscle. So, there's a little bit of that going on. However, I will say that although I am definitely feeling stronger than I did after O, and definitely toned, there's still a lot of work to go.


It's all pretty vain, but I've come to accept that that's just how I am... I want to feel good about my body and whether that is vain or not, so be it. On the flip side, I've also accepted that I may never run long distances again (or at least not without peeing myself) and I may always have a little jiggle in my stomach, but that's ok. This body successfully and beautifully delivered two amazing boys in to this world, ALL BY ITSELF. No intervention, no drugs, nothing. It did what it was supposed to do. So, even though I've "lost" some things... running, a foot that doesn't hurt every day... and may always have a little bit wider hips, the things that I've gained (both the experience of being pregnant and going through labor, and of course, most notably by the names of Owen and Bennett) FAR out weigh the other negatives. And for that, I'm pretty ok with where I'm at now. It helps that my skinny pants are just starting to fit again, too. Still a little muffin top, but hey, we're getting there.


NUMBERS:


Month 2 post partum
Weight- 133 pounds
Body fat- 23.5%
Belly- 33.5
Waist- 29.5
Hips- 37
Thigh- 16
Boob- 33.5
Bicep- 9
Calf 10.5

Month 7 (ish) post partum
Weight- 124 pounds
Body fat- 22.5% (-1%)
Belly- 31 (-2.5) 
Waist- 25.5 (-4)
Hips- 35.5 (-1.5)
Thigh- 16.5 (+.5... guess that's the riding!)
Boob- 32 (-1.5)
Bicep- 9 (0)
Calf 10.5 (0)

No comments: