Saturday, August 18, 2012

Week 38.


Week 38. One week in to full term and no baby yet! But getting closer by the day. Pictures:


Week 38 #1. (Sorry the picture for #2 didn't quite work so this is all there is....) Oh well!


And week 37 for comparison. Um, did I not just totally explode in a week? What the hell?

How I'm feeling?
This week was, well, WEIRD. Really weird. I was out at a client ALL WEEK which was interesting given that I could seriously pop out a kid at any given moment. The other interesting part was that for the first client of the week, we were in a building with no air conditioning. Not a big deal normally but when the weather in Seattle looks like this AND you are hugely pregnant?


Yeah. Really not enjoyable to sit around in a non-AC client all day. Bah. But I made it through and the rest of the week I was in an air conditioned office all day and was happy as a clam to be at work and not at home since it was 4 million degrees in our house. (Seattle has one week like this a year...yippee for being almost 10 months pregnant this time around! And related: FEET ARE THE SIZE OF MY HEAD).

Also weird this week? False labor. I woke up one night to contractions that I SWORE were labor contractions. NOPE. Kidding. They went away. Well, thanks for the wake up call for that! I was totally stressing about it though because it was so hot. Our birth is at a birth center which IS air conditioned but we are released relatively shortly after the birth (4 hours is typical) so we would have a brand spanking newborn at home with us in a million degree house. But after I realized it was false labor, I just went on my merry way and didn't think about it.

THEN, the next day, I attempted to work out. Well, during said workout, I started leaking. Like out of my hoo hoo. I went to check, not blood. Just clear liquid. Smelled it, not pee (OH how glorious it is to be pregnant!) What else could it be?? My water breaking? I peed and then resumed working out figuring that it was just a weird one-off thing. Nope, workout had to be stopped because I KEPT LEAKING. So, I called the midwives and they basically said that with the amount I was leaking, the color, the description, etc., the thing to assume would be that my water had broken. So, they basically said they wanted labor to start within 24-48 hours and gave me a list of instructions for what to look out for, what to do, etc. (INSERT FREAK OUT!) So THEN we were sure we were going to have a baby. We went to bed that night assuming we'd wake up in the middle of the night and have to go in as I'd be in labor.

NOPE. Tricked again.

No contractions, nothing. What the hell? That morning the midwife calls of course to see how I made it through the night and I tell her I had no contractions. Just to be sure it wasn't my water, she wanted me to come in to get checked out. I went in, checked it out, and it wasn't my water. It was just cervical fluid. WHAT?!

(pregnancy is so freaking weird).

So, after that I was REALLY freaked out that this baby is imminent and I think Justin was too as he went that day and installed an air conditioner in our room. I have to say, it's been pretty freaking awesome with this heat so I am loving it... and loving that I have such a handy husband.

But, still no baby. Bets on if he comes on our anniversary? (August 19th)....

How I'm changing?
You'd think I'd be done changing but as evidenced above, I'm still getting bigger! And clearly, my body is doing all sorts of weird things to prep for the arrival of this kid.
 
What I'm eating?
Same old stuff. Really can't say that I'm eating anything differently or weird. Really trying to eat enough protein as I know labor is going to require some serious strength.

Weight I'm gaining? 
I was 151.3 this week... That is almost a 3 pound gain. HOLY CRAP. Generally gaining that much weight in a week this late in the game is cause for a tilt of the head, but given that my weight gain has been so reasonable (approximately 30 pounds so far), it's really not a huge concern. Additionally, because it's been so hot, it's most likely all water retention. Fine with me as long as no one tells me that all of a sudden this kid is going to be 12 pounds!

How I'm sleeping?
Not terrible, not great... I will say I am sleeping much better with the a/c though... of course, still have frequent pee breaks.
What's the baby doing?
-The baby is 19.75 inches, 6.8 pounds pounds or the size of a leek (um, aren't leeks skinny?? Somehow I think this is an analogy fail....)
-At this point, the baby would be totally fine if he came out... he's just fattening up in there and getting those lungs ready.

What we are doing to prepare for the baby?
Midwives again this week but the appointments are getting to be pretty uneventful (minus the time we went in to check to see if my water had broken). Basically we're just waiting now.
Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)
So, I didn't have time to go get a pedicure this week, my toes were disgusting and I can't reach them to save my life so guess what? My sweet husband offered to do them for me. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I figured that it couldn't be much worse than they already looked. So he painted my toenails. And honestly, they actually look BETTER than if I'd had them done at a pedicure place. CRAZY!! Unfortunately I don't think it's a true passion of his so I won't be able to solicit his services post-pregnancy but still, I was impressed!