Friday, August 3, 2012

Nursery = completed.

It all started back in, I don't know, May? Or maybe before that. Everyone thinks about the nursery when they first find out they are pregnant. Or at least I did. Very possible that I am a weird anomaly. But, regardless, in April we got our first shipment of "stuff", namely the crib, so once we were back from Hawaii and had a spare weekend, we starting working on converting the office to the nursery. Of course, by this time, we'd managed to accumulate a fair amount of stuff that needed to go in there. We'll just tell the story in pictures, ok?



A shot of the office that was starting to get compiled with baby crap.


Justin building something... maybe the changing table? Clearly, the crib was already built (see right of photo).


Yep, it was the changing table.


And another shot of the master builder.


We started to move more and more stuff in as we got it so it was a little messy in there for a while.


At the beginning of July, we had everything built (all the furniture) and did a little project of artwork. Here is Justin hanging the pictures up after they were completed.


And we moved the book shelf. Yes, I put flowers on the book shelf for our son's room. Whatever, he's a baby and probably will not have flowers in any of his rooms until he is a married 30-something year old. It's more for my benefit than his at this point, clearly.


We finally put all the stuff away and were relaxing (this was mid-July) after our baby shower in June in the midwest.


Justin showing off the inside of the armoire. Since this room was really just an office space, there was no real closet. So, we choose an armoire for closet/storage space.


Hanging the last bit of artwork, if you can really call it "artwork." But we did paint the letters so we have to get some sort of credit for that.

And in the opposite corner, the rocker.


After our shower in Washington, we decided to get a little bit more storage space. I really like it.


A shot of the changing table, wall, and crib.


And one more of the inside of the armoire.


And, a close up of the crib bedding.

The colors I ended up going with were mainly chocolate brown, burnt orange and a lime green. Totally NOT what I had originally anticipated when I first started thinking about the nursery. I originally thought I was going to do blues and browns with some orange accents but I didn't end up doing much blue at all. I also knew I wanted to stay as far away from the silly animal prints or themes as possible. Those drive me crazy and while I totally get that some people love them, I just do not. I also didn't want to go to a ton of work like painting the walls and completely going crazy in the nursery since I know that the little guy is going to outgrow it in a short amount of time and will probably want some sort of boy themed room that he'll have for more than just a year or so... most likely minus the flowers. At the end of the day, I'm really happy with the result. I think Justin likes it too. And I'm fairly sure Owen will be happy as a clam in there, too, although I have a feeling his main concerns for a little while are going to be clean diapers and access to boobies.