Monday, July 2, 2012

Week 31.


Week 31. Holy crap! That is all I have to say about that.  Pictures:


#1.


#2.


And 30 weeks for comparison. Looks about the same to me!

How I'm feeling?
Oh, yeah, I am eating my foot right now because I had been one of the "lucky" ones to have never really experienced heartburn throughout this pregnancy. Well, this week I had a bit of heartburn. And by a bit I mean, A LOT.This was totally new for me, as I mentioned, as I've been pretty lucky so far in that I really haven't experienced it at all and when I have it's been really mild. But this week one day I woke up and OH MY. I thought that possibly I was having a HEART ATTACK. I hadn't eaten anything unusual unless you consider a salad the night before unusual (I don't), but WHOO. I was halfway convinced that the baby had decided it was going to try to come out through my esophagus... I mean he is breech, maybe he got confused on directions? KIDDING. Sort of. So, I sat straight up and contemplated how I wanted to die because, you know, I was GOING TO DIE from this, when the weirdest thing happened. IT MOVED TO MY BACK. Same spot, on the backside. Um, WHAT?

At this point, I'm really freaking out because back heartburn, what? So I wake Justin up which is something I HATE to do and I tell him I have back heartburn. I'm not even kidding you, he looks at me and tells me to go back to sleep as if I am a crazy person. Meanwhile I want to slap him silly because how can he not see the seriousness of the situation... I am going to DIE from BACK HEARTBURN. Back heartburn which I did not even KNOW existed and could just be the baby trying to crawl out of me the wrong way. Related: it was the middle of the night and I was irrational. Also related: I could get very irrational if I go into labor in the middle of the night... clearly, I proved that point. And also related: this is a real possibility as most labors do happen at night as the hormone that induces labor increases at night. Get ready, honey!

I continue to poke Justin and he continues to ignore me. I think at almost 8 months in to this he's realized when I am actually on the verge of dying and when I actually just THINK I'm dying (note: it's always the latter). This is a good lesson that he has learned as it will help us during labor. Of course then hopefully I am not the laboring lady that accuses him of just letting me die but we are hoping for a tranquil, peaceful birth which I honestly think is achievable.... I guess we will see what happens.

Anyway, after sitting up for a while, the back heartburn actually subsided but I woke up the next morning totally weirded out. Because I didn't think back heartburn was even a real thing, I thought something could seriously be wrong. Obviously NOT the baby coming out the wrong way but it just seemed odd. I decided in my more rational morning state to just see if it happened again (it hasn't. Thank god).  

Later in the week while our husbands were bonding over whiskey, two of my also pregnant girlfriends and I went out to Thai food for dinner. I know you think I am going to say I got heartburn again here but NO. I already told you that I haven't yet. EVEN BETTER. One of my girlfriends said that she has in fact had back heartburn so IT IS a real thing!! I was so validated. My first words to Justin when we got back: "BACK HEARTBURN IS REAL, I HAVE CONFIRMED IT." He shook his head, like, my god, lady... Good thing he loves me. And that is hopefully my first and last story on heartburn... ever.
How I'm changing?
My stomach is growing outward. The end.

What I'm eating?
Pretty normal here.

I was reminded this week of one of my pregnancy staples (infatuations?) I have been totally all about sparkling water. Seriously, I drank this when I was feeling sick, I drank this when I wasn't feeling sick, I pretty much have been drinking this non-stop my whole pregnancy. It is AMAZING. Any kind will do as long as it is just unflavored sparkling water. SO GOOD. I think it has to do with the bubbles... I really have no idea what this is about. It's especially good with some fresh lime squeezed in it. I'm wondering if this will continue post-pregnancy.
Weight I'm gaining? 
I was 144.7 this week... so rounding up that is 145. Eeek. Back to a 1.5ish pound gain. Probably about normal from here on out.
How I'm sleeping?
Still sleeping pretty good, actually. I really can't complain TOO much. I know it's going to get worse before it gets better (better as in, oh, YEARS).
What's the baby doing?
-The baby is 16 inches or the size of four large navel oranges (WHERE do they come up with this stuff?) The baby weighs 3.3 pounds. UM. That's getting close to about half his weight at birth... which means I am really sort of starting to freak out. It is going to be here before we know it.
-The baby is still plumping up and gaining more and more baby fat. His skin is also starting to become soft and smooth.
-Pretty much the baby is just getting bigger and getting ready for the outside world.

What we are doing to prepare for the baby?
-So in effort to get the little guy to turn I've done the following things:
a) Continued inversions like last week- basically what I like to call standing on my head. It made my neck hurt so I was basically doing more of a "downward" dog type inversion that was easier on my neck than sitting propped on a piece of wood. I also would hang on equipment at the gym which worked really well.
b) Started going to a chiropractor who specializes in the webster technique. I might totally kill explaining this and make my doctor friends cringe (especially my chiropractic girlfriend!) but I'll give it a try. From what I understand, the webster technique is a specific technique that chiropractors get certified in that help to align the pelvis. It basically "balances" the pelvis with the thought being that the baby will turn if it has a place to turn in to that is equal. IE: if your pelvis is not balanced and one side is higher than the other, the baby will not naturally go there because it's not comfortable (hence the feet being down because they fit better in the uneven space than the head). Once you see a chiropractor for this treatment, optimal fetal positioning increases. So, what I found out was that my pelvis is indeed mis-aligned. Basically my right side is slightly higher and rolled back (I'm sure those are the formal terms, ha) than my left. Most of this is probably due to YEARS of sitting and working, bad posture, bad shoes, and having incredibly tight right hip flexors and glutes from years of running. So, he adjusted me and sent me home with homework... stretches. I have some silly trainer that's been telling me for years to stretch out and roll out these muscles so I guess it's time to get even more serious about that... IT bands, glutes, hip flexors... they are in for a rude awakening. (And sidenote: Justin came with me to this first appointment and he has not yet stopped gloating).

OH YEAH. And related to this per the chiropractor's suggestion (or basically he said "you better do this for the next two months or else"). It's probably the biggest news of all that probably deserves it's own post (DAD, PLEASE STAND BY: MOM MIGHT PASS OUT- I only know this because Justin almost did- the two people who have been nagging me FOREVER):

I gave up heels.

I know. I don't even know what else to say. I am fine in heels, they feel great, I have LIVED in heels for years and I will again post baby. But truthfully they are probably messing up my pelvis so for the next two months I will be in flats. I never thought it would come to this. I need to have a moment of silence for all of my cute heels. I actually pulled out all of my flats out of the closet because otherwise it makes me sad to see all of the adorable shoes I'm not wearing BUT! It's for the good of my body, the baby, labor, etc. (I did not realize I had it in me either!)

c) I also started seeing my acupuncturist who specializes in treatment of women (fertility issues, issues in pregnancy, hormones, etc). I started seeing him when I didn't have a period for oh, MONTHS, and he is great. I've seen him a few times throughout the pregnancy and then contacted him when I found out the baby is still breech. He said that generally his treatments are less effective for women who are after 32 weeks pregnant but the odds of a c-section are reduced by 60% so to come on in. I'll take it, why not?!

I went in and he put in some points to increase circulation around the uterus and also did moxibustion. I had heard of moxibustion as an effective way to help turn breech babies but really had no idea what I was in for. Basically he sat there with a huge looking cigar type thing, that was lit like a cigar, and heated the points on my pinky toes for about 15 minutes each. Moxa is a herb, also known as mugwort and it's been used in Chinese medicine for years to warm acupuncture points and increase blood blow to the uterus/pelvis (and subsequently to turn breech babies). It was pretty interesting and my toes were on fire. I was sent home with my own moxa sticks and little points to wear daily and told to burn my toes daily with the moxa (not really burn, but do the whole moxibustion procedure). My poor stepson was subject to this a bit as he stayed with us over the weekend and his crazy pregnant stepmom is sitting there with this black stick that doesn't smell so awesome, hovering the red hot point over her pinky toes. I'm sure he texted his friends, "man, dudes, she is WEIRD." Haha.

d) We continued to get the nursery in working order. We got some of the stuff shipped to us from the shower- below is a picture of Justin putting together one of the things. A monkey bouncer. Pretty cute. Separate post to come on the nursery, soon. I promise!


Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)
This week I just focused on relaxing and just doing what I could to help the baby turn. I was pretty stressed about it as I mentioned last week but I figure that I'll just do what I can to help him and really start to get in tune with my body. It is pretty amazing how intuitive your body is when pregnant and you just know what to do... I don't know that I have a full understanding yet, but I imagine that motherhood is pretty similar.