Monday, July 16, 2012

20 years and the beautiful mountain town.

I have written about the beautiful little town of Leavenworth before and if you are a long time blog reader, you remember the posts. It's a quaint little mountain town right across the mountains (we live west of Seattle, Leavenworth is about an hour and a half away from us just east of the mountains). It's known as a little Bavarian village which is how it gets the tourists, but really, it's just a nice little mountain town with some German flair. The town has always been a place I have loved to visit since I've moved to Seattle but it wasn't until Justin and I started dating that I really fell in love with it because I started to get to know people who call Leavenworth home and I started to see it not just as a place to escape the city, but as a small town with some serious heart and soul.... and, of course, a place to escape the city doing anything outdoors-y.

This past weekend, Justin and I ventured up to Leavenworth on Saturday morning for his 20th high school reunion. (I know, 20 years... it's insane to think how fast time goes. Luckily, I still have 8 years until my 20 year....)


Anyway, Saturday morning we headed over the pass to the mountains and to warmer weather (90 degrees versus 75...sorry all you midwest people, I know you'd take either right now!):
 

Gorgeous mountain shot... the drive was beautiful, as always. Once we got in to town, our first stop was to the chocolate shop that our friends own. We had to say hi and, of course, stock up on chocolates.


Eventually we headed to one of our favorite Leavenworth restaurants, South. We got a room at a local bed and breakfast up by ski hill so we then headed there to check in and eventually made it out to Justin's friends where the boys were in the midst of playing games (and had been for quite a few hours). This property that we went to is where one of Justin's friends dads lives but Justin and his friend lived there right after graduating high school. Apparently it was the hot spot in high school and Justin spent a good chunk of the summer after his senior year sleeping on a futon outside on this property.


He and his friend, John, also built the house above by hand. I think that the windows were considered not necessary. Pretty cute.


We then started to play sand volleyball on the court that Justin and John built 20 or so odd years ago. And yes, even I played at 8.5 months pregnant. It was super fun. I can't say that I was a total rockstar at jumping or diving, but hey, I played.


After volleyball, we went back to the B&B where we admired the valley and little town of Leavenworth- great view, eh? We showered and changed and got ready to head to the high school reunion dinner.


A shot of us before heading out to the golf course for dinner. Kind of an awkward picture. Oh well.

A not so great phone picture attempt at Justin's class (or at least those who showed up that night). It was so funny to meet some of them and hear some of the stories from Justin's senior year at Leavenworth high school.  I've spent time with a few of these guys before (at the beer olympics) so do know some of them but seeing/meeting even more people as well as the guys I already knew was pretty cool.


The next day, we had breakfast, went for a quick swim, then picked up Oliver (who had spent the weekend at his moms) and headed back to Justin's friends for a BBQ and more games. Justin and Oliver started out with horseshoe while I observed.


And one more shot. After spending several hours there, I was fairly uncomfortable. It was hot, my feet was swollen, I was having some nice braxton hicks, so I was just done. Plus, we had a 2 hour drive ahead of us. So around 3:30 we packed up and called it a day and headed back west of the mountains. All in all, it was a great weekend... now to figure out how to get a place over there so we can go whenever we want....