Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Big news! (or perhaps more appropriate would be HOLY SHIT BIG NEWS!!)

In August 2012, we will be celebrating our 1 year anniversary. Last year we were drinking wine and then heading to Hawaii...

This year? 

We will be welcoming this little guy or gal, SAY HI little baby V! (And on a related note, holy shit that little peanut is INSIDE OF ME)....words I have repeated to myself about 4 million times in the past couple of months. 


We also think he/she has inherited his/her dads dance moves. Look at that leg rocking around already...straight up in the air. He/she does not inherit flexibility from me. 

Let's back up a bit, shall we? For the sake of documentation and the blog, I will post belly pictures even though I find them sort of revolting and not something I think people really care to see. But, for my mom and anyone who does care, and just for sake of memories, here is my growing belly (note that the pictures start at around 9 weeks...why so late? More on that later):


At 9 weeks.


At 10 weeks.


At 11 weeks.

At 12 weeks (yes, I am very well aware of the fact that over the next few weeks the belly button ring is going to have to come out). And also: Apparently I didn't rub my lotion in very well that morning. Whoops. And one more note: holy CRAP it is weird how big my boobs are. I have never had boobs but holy hell... (sorry to draw attention to that feature but if you're reading this post about a pregnant lady, you better get used to TMI or don't read. Seriously, WOW).

And to back up further, here's rundown of where we are right now and where we've been and how the hell we got here...well, not the nitty gritty, you guys are smart enough to figure that one out:

When are you due? 
August 24. This is BIG news to us. Remember how I said the picture started at 9 weeks? We thought originally that this picture was at 5 weeks. I had JUST taken a pregnancy test in early January after several signs pointed to um, HI, something is up (you know, like thinking I'm getting the flu every day at the same time, or being unable to wear shirts because my boobs hurt so bad and then liking weird things I have never liked like blue cheese and bacon and being revolted by foods I love like peanut butter...and the final straw? I realized I ate a whole jar of dill pickles in a day. A DAY). So, after a couple of weeks of this, I took a test, figured it out and I figured I was newly pregnant. That being said, we thought when we originally found out that I'm pregnant that our due date was in September. Nope, apparently that "period" in November was not a period, it was implantation bleeding.  So I guess I am the weirdo that doesn't have a period for oh, I don't know, NINE MONTHS and then just gets pregnant. Cool? I need to let the shell shock wear off on that one before I fully decide myself.

Will you find out the sex?
I originally said no way, I wanted the surprise. Now I'm dying to know. This remains to be seen. Stay tuned. (As a sidenote, I think it's a boy. We can take bets on if I have any instinct whatsoever).

Surprise or planned? And, how did you know?
SURPRISE! We were just trying to get me to have A period, much less regular cycles, we had no plans of getting pregnant this year, nor did we even think it was possible (in fact, we were told it was blatantly NOT possible). Like I said, I had very sore breasts in December but thought it was my body trying to figure out my cycles (as did my doctor). We went to New Year's with friends in Oregon and I was feeling nasty each day (remember that brutal pacific coast highway run? Apparently it wasn't a hangover...which makes sense since I hardly drank at all since I thought I was coming down with the flu). And like I already said, after we got back from Oregon, when I STILL had sore boobs, was repulsed by peanut butter, loved blue cheese and bacon, ate a whole jar of pickles, and was feeling sick every morning, I decided it was time to take a test "just to make sure." And guess what, big fat plus. (insert minor, er, major freak out!) The freak out as a result mostly because I had literally JUST signed the offer for my new job and was all set and reved up to go get em this year in a new firm I was excited about...

While Justin and I have always said that we'd like to have a baby, we just didn't think it would be this year for a myriad of reasons, one being that we were told it wasn't possible. In fact, I had just told my friends in Oregon that I didn't think we'd get pregnant in 2012 and that it would probably be a year or two before I was even able to get pregnant. This conversation also happened while sitting in a hot tub, sipping on a cocktail...all while I was pregnant, unknowingly, clearly. WHOOPS (hot tub and drinking are clearly both pregnancy no-nos). So yeah, total surprise. A good surprise but a surprise nonetheless...it definitely alters the plans a bit for this year.

How I'm feeling?
Much better now. Much of the 1st trimester I had no idea I was pregnant, I just thought I was getting the flu and that my boobs were incredibly painful as a result of my body trying to figure out my cycle (WRONG)! It definitely sucked and there were some rough days but I definitely didn't have it the worst of the worst. Made it even better when I realized that I didn't actually have 4 weeks left of my first trimester and instead, it was essentially over! I actually never really dealt with feeling super tired until now. Now I've been feeling exhausted in a way I've never felt before. Maybe it's the whole getting up 4 million times a night to pee two squirts (ANNOYING and also? I don't get this...it's not like my bladder is being crowded yet).

How I'm changing?
My pants don't fit. Lately the new thing is that I become hormonal pregnant crazy woman around 7pm every night. My boobs don't hurt anymore even as close to as bad and feeling sick is fleeting now. Still happens but not twice a day and not every day. I can deal. I can (finally) eat peanut butter again! I'm still totally repulsed by runny eggs. And I'm totally over pickles. Gross.

What I'm eating?
Pretty much anything now. I WAS having massive cravings for beef, raisin bran, pickles, olives, and macaroni and cheese (I literally could only stomach mac and cheese for about 2 weeks straight. That was it. I ate about a box a day for those two weeks figuring I would just get the calories I could. It was the Annie's organic kind so I figure that made it a little bit better). Oh yeah, and bread and butter. I could NOT eat chicken, peanut butter, eggs or anything sweet whatsoever (weird as I typically LOVE peanut butter and have an incredibly intense sweet tooth). Now that I'm in the 2nd trimester, my cravings have settled and I'm eating more normally, although I am eating a lot. I don't understand women who say they don't have cravings. Holy hell, mine were INTENSE. As in, nothing could satisfy them except exact things. 

Weight I'm gaining? 
I've gained about 5 ish pounds which is right in line with where you should be 1st trimester. Like I said, though, my pants are slowly getting tighter. I'm still working out 4-5 days a week. I'm not running as much as I was (duh). They say that people who run before pregnancy can still run during, but it definitely feels different. I only do 2-3 miles at a time now and disperse it with walking. I am definitely NOT doing a marathon in July as I had originally planned. Other than that, I've been lifting weights 3 times a week and doing yoga and long walks. I've found that when I am most exhausted, going on a walk helps most. It really messes with your head when you feel like you are still as healthy as you always were but your pants stop buttoning. Clearly you KNOW you are pregnant but it's still an odd feeling.

How I'm sleeping? 
Pretty good, though I've noticed some positions are starting to get uncomfortable. I typically sleep on my stomach but now it hurts my boobs and my back gets more sore now too. Guess I will have to start learning how to sleep on my side. And the whole pee thing. Again, annoying.Other than that, by about 9pm every night I totally crash in a way that I have never experienced before. It's pretty funny.

What's the baby doing?
-The baby is about the size of a plum and is considered a fetus
-This week (week 12) the features on the baby's face become more defined
-The fingernails are forming
-The heart and brain have already formed but this week the brain continues to develop (note that our baby's heart rate was 186 at the ultrasound.... people have theories on what that means but I don't know what that means)
-Reproductive organs have formed
-All other vital organs have formed (this happens by week 10)...seriously?


Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)
Pregnancy is WEIRD.  Everything listed above is just odd...the cravings, the places that hurt or feel weird, the things that you can't do because they feel different. It's all just strange. Granted it's beautiful and it's cool but it's just so surreal that there is something growing inside of there. Seeing the ultrasound and hearing the heartbeat were pivotal moments for me... it was as if everything was all worth it. That is our baby in there, growing and moving and eventually going to be moving around in this outside world. It totally messes with my head a little bit but I love it and we couldn't be more excited. We'll be tracking the journey here, of course, along with all of our other happenings. I'll make random posts about this whole thing and then (cross your fingers) I will try to do a post similar in format to this one with a weekly update. Cheers (with sparkling water, of course) to what is probably going to be quite the adventurous ride!

No comments: