Sunday, January 30, 2011

And another year... it begins again...

So, this busy season started off in full swing, oh January FOURTH. Why you ask? Oh only because I had a benefit plan audit that is a fiscal (meaning: September 30) year end that just rears its head the first of January as a swift kick to the arse to say, "Hey, remember me? I'm your 'gentle' ease right back into this hellish time of year...right at the first of January when no one wants to work after the holidays."

Hey, stupid EBP plan, I hate you.

Oh, and I should mention: it's a full scope. (Pretty sure there's only a handful of people that will appreciate my pain on that...trust me, without getting into the accounting lingo- it SUCKS).

Actually, I really don't HATE this particular client. I really quite enjoy it. But I do not like being thrust back in that early in January after eating my way through the previous two weeks. And by eating I mean, I was practically living in a sugar induced Christmas cookie coma. The revisit to WORKING is a harsh reality. So yeah, January 4th: WELCOME.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the life you won't have for the next two (or four) months...with maybe only a slight reprieve thrown in there somehow. Ah, yes, tis that time of year indeed. And a quick question to myself: why oh why do I continue to stay in this profession this time of year? After 8 busy seasons in my career, it has not started to suck any less. Heading into these next 3 months makes me really question my sanity. I have to remember: short summer days, short summer days, six weeks vacation, six weeks vacation.... That mantra usually stops working around the end of February when I would like to flip off everyone not working 7 days a week, people that have seen the sun more than once in 2 months, and when I consider moving to a remote island to live in only a box...if only just to get away from my damn ten key, which becomes a key accessory for me during this time of year (a CALCULATOR for all of you non-accountants). It's pretty sexy. Oh, and I also start to dream about work. Like nightmares. It can be quite comical, actually.

Really, I swear, this is the profession I CHOSE.

BUT, on the plus side, my work recognized the work that I am doing by a promotion which I have to say was COMPLETELY unexpected but totally awesome. They usually don't do that mid-year (our year end is June) but for whatever reason they gave about 4 of us in our firm promotions in January. Sweet! I don't care if it was used for motivation going into this busy season, I'll take it. Onward.... and praying to god April will be here soon....

No comments: