Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Birthday Week.

Justin got a birthday week this year. No, not a day, not a little piece of cake. A WEEK. Why? Oh I don't know, mostly because I love him. Secondly, because he didn't want it so I thought I'd show him how a proper midwesterner celebrates. Also known as: we go overboard. Is that just a generalization? Maybe. Perhaps midwesterners are really just simple and don't have this trait at all but where I come from, we go overboard... much in thanks to my mom, which (hi mom!) isn't a bad thing at all.

Anyhow. A birthday WEEK. I had so much fun. I'm not so sure that Justin did but that's besides the point, right? I mean, when I was little I got presents on my brothers birthday and vice versa, so really what it's all about is me, right? I had fun. It was a great week. End of story.

OK, OK. It was NOT all about me. It was all about him. And how much I love him. But I sure did have fun.

What I did: I had 7 days worth of presents for him. Some small, some larger. Each arrived at varying times each day and had a little snippet for his birthday week and the present he was just about to open. I started it on the Friday before his birthday when family/friends came over for a pre-birthday celebration (his birthday was on a Tuesday) and it ended on the Friday after his birthday. Each card was for the following day.

Here's how it went.

Friday, January 21: I gave him a little present (one of his favorite Mark Ryan wines) with a card that told him to enjoy the wine but not too much as the bigger present that day was a day of skiing with Bailey (his oldest son) the following day.

Saturday, January 22: I gave him a book (nutritional stuff, you know, that crap we hippies/health fanatics up here all love) that was offset by another bottle of wine (Justin- no, not my Justin, a GREAT winemaker out of California) as well as a few small other items (snacks, etc) with a card that said to rest/relax after a big day of skiing which meant that it was a great movie day on the following day with son #2, Oliver. Oh, and by the way, skiing with Bailey? They had SO much fun.

Sunday, January 23: The card that accompanied the package said to get ready for the week ahead... and in it was a bunch of little snacks, coffee, a coffee mug, etc.

Monday, January 24: Another card that said the package was a little care package to take care of his body... (don't cover your eyes, it's PG rated here). In the package was a bunch of hygiene stuff- Shampoo/Conditioner, shaving cream, soap, etc. I also gave him a very emo booked called "soul happy", you know one of those lovey dovey quote books. Yes, indeed, I am one of those people that dig that shit. My partner is too. Our eyes may or may not have watered upon reading it together. Don't judge.

BIRTHDAY DAY! January 25: I did do a card on this day too. It accompanied a HUGE care package full of more bars/snacks, etc. as well as the cupcakes referenced in the prior post. That night I made him dinner, as I also mentioned, gave him a cycling book he wanted, gave him bookers bourbon (one of his favorites), Andrew Will wine (why is there seeming to be an alcohol theme here with health junkie snacks/books/etc intertwined... interesting...). The big thing I did was to compile a book for him from everyone (as most people who read this blog probably know because they probably contributed- THANK YOU!!) It was a little crazy getting it to all come together but it was magnificent. In the card on the front of the book was an IOU for a family photography session by the marvelous Tara of Red Thread Photography who took our friends Rich and Stacie's phenomenal wedding photos. The photos taken by her will fill the photo spot on the front of the book... exciting! Inside the book were pages and pages of email tidbits and photos that SO MANY people contributed to me for Justin.... basically telling him what they wanted him to know on his very important day. Some were funny, some were moving, some were simple, some were long-winded... but mostly, I was just flat out BLOWN AWAY by the response from people. I mean, I KNEW Justin was a great guy but this just blew me out of the water. He's amazing. The people in our life are astounding. To say he was touched by the book would be an absolute understatement. It was one of the most special things we have shared together. I had no idea it would be as cool as it was.

Wednesday, January 26: Hard to follow the actual birthday but I did it... with a card that said we might need to detox after the presents from the night before (no, not the book- the bourbon and wine). His detox usually means a big ride so to help with that I gave him a bunch of protein, a protein shaker bottle, bars, and anything else I could think of that he would love for working out. I think I did a good job.

Thursday, January 27: Gave him a card that said I was giving him something that held special memories for us and he had to guess what. It was a bottle of Knob creek bourbon (yeah, I know, I got carried away at the liquor store... why the liquor store? Oh, only because in freaking Washington you can't buy hard alcohol at any where else BUT a liquor store). Anyhow, when Justin and I first started dating, we created some very, um, SPECIAL memories that included knob creek as a base.

Friday, January 28: A card that said I'd take him out to dinner anywhere he wished. We went to sushi at Japonessa, in Seattle on Saturday night. It was amazing. Pictures, as follows are mostly from Friday night, the 21st when we had family over to celebrate his birthday with a mexican feast but it's all I've got.... The cake I bought him- German Chocolate from a local bakery. Actually this is the cake I usually request for MY birthday. I wasn't 100% sure what he loved most and wanted it to be a surprise so I picked what I loved most (ok, maybe that choice was all about me... ) But, come to find out he LOVED it (...and patting my back for that one....and thankful I didn't have to eat the whole thing by myself, although maybe that wouldn't have been the WORST scenario, except for the old waistline...)
After picking up the kids, Justin came home and was snacking on all of our pre-dinner goods... here with his aunt Drue (right) and her friend, um, crap I forgot her name (left).


Dinner... soo good. Here Drue, Oliver, and Jocelyn (his mom).


And with Baby oliver and Jordan (his brother). Baby Oliver was a big help with the present opening. Obviously. (BY THE WAY, is he the cutest kid ever or what?!)


Oops, Baby Ollie doesn't like this present, THROW IT! (Actually he didn't throw it at all but this picture still cracks me up).


"If you rub my head, you'll go up..." So, smart kid, he rubbed the head...


He went up and someone else, aka: a birthday boy, also got a workout!


Look at that trainer with 90 degree push up arms and a little scooter on the backside!

Someone's arms got tired but someone else still wanted to play....

I really have no idea when the above picture was taken, other than sometime that week when we drank some wine.


All in all, I think that Justin had a great birthday this year. It was a fun week, for both of us, although maybe just a tad bit embarrassing for him with all of the recognition. But that's ok, I've heard that embarrassment is good for the soul, especially as you start to age, and as I tell him, he is definitely starting to get up there in age.... (haha, I love you honey! When I'm your age in many, many years, you can tease me...) In all seriousness, I'm a big birthday fan and I wanted Justin to know how much he is loved, not only just on his birthday but each and every day.

No comments: