Monday, January 17, 2011

A much needed trip to the sun.

The Seattle weather has been trying and exhausting. For the past 4 years. Ok, not really but when it hits January and the holidays are over and it's raining and raining and still not topping 45 degrees? JULY SEEMS LIKE A LONG WAYS A WAY. I mean, July at that point in time? Ask anyone in Seattle and July will NEVER get here. Are you kidding, why would you even ask that? We will DIE well before July gets here. From drowning. Or lack of vitamin d.

And I say July because June is by FAR the worst part of the year in Seattle. It's a sick joke. Everyone is enjoying this awesome perfect summer weather of 75-80 degrees. SHUT UP everyone who doesn't live in Seattle. I wish to never hear from you in June. June SUCKS. It's rainy, it's freezing, it feels like November. Without fail (oh, and as an aside- not like these first two paragraphs haven't been a massive aside- June was the month I moved to Seattle 4 years ago. From Phoenix. BRILLIANT. I thought that maybe it was the worst decision I'd ever made. And then I bought 250 sweaters and felt a little better about my life. After all, I hadn't "enjoyed" (ahem, barf) winter in all the years I lived in Phoenix...)
So yes. Back on track.

July was a long ways away. We were dying in Seattle winter...and even though it hadn't been that rainy, it was just cold. And blah.

So the only logical thing?

Book a trip to the Phoenix! I was well overdue for not only sun but some friend time, too. As a perfect pre-busy season getaway, we packed our bags and ranthehellasfastaswecould to the airport.


We left on Friday, January 14 at around 4pm. We got up at 4am, as is normal since we literally get to work at the ASS CRACK (wish I was joking) so we were quite tired as we normally are on Friday nights. It would be great some year if Halloween were on a Friday night. Justin and I could go as crackheads and we wouldn't even need any makeup because that's about how we look at the end of every week after a week of serious sleep deprivation catches up to us. It's REALLY hard to get to bed at a decent time when you don't get home from work until 7.30-8pm then get up at 4am. I know all of the parents of babies right now are flipping me off. WELL I'M SORRY, it still sucks. I am going to eat my words someday when I have a newborn, I know. Anyway, Justin's drinking coffee, above, so that we can make it through the night. We got in around 9pm and of course the first thing we notice? Warmth. At 9pm. Ahhhhh sweet relief. I could just feel my whole body relax. And I'm sure at 60 degrees, most Phoenix people had 4 layers on. We went straight to Scottsdale, where we stayed with my friend Jessica at her new house. Let me just say two things 1) I love that girl, she is so amazing so it was great to see her and 2) She might just be the best hostess (and best interior decorator) ever. Holy CRAP. First thing we did upon arriving after touring the house was go to find food. After a couple of failed attempts we ended up at sushi... and I think we stayed there until about 1:30am. It was so fun to catch up and enjoy wine and sushi with good friends.

The next morning, we got up bright and early and again noticed, ohmygod, the SUN. We had to ask Jessica what that bright ball of light was in the sky but eventually we figured it out. Ok, ok, I'll stop. Seattle isn't THAT bad... Above- Justin eating breakfast.

...and above, a picture of Justin's ass. Oh wait.... Actually Justin was fixing things, something he knows how to do very well (and I have to say, it's quite the handy trait).

So, on this first day in Phoenix? We headed straight to the Queen Creek Olive Mill. I had never heard of this but was intrigued so when Jessica mentioned it, I was all for it.

Of course it was WAAAY out but we got to soak in the Arizona desert on the way to it.

And, finally pulling in.... once there we met up with a few friends to enjoy the morning with, most notably Miss Jen (Hi, Jen! Why didn't I get a picture with you??)

We stayed there for pretty much all morning... tasting Olive Oils, eating, drinking, and mostly (for the two folks from Seattle), enjoying the sun... and getting sun burned. Awesome!

A picture of us. Mmmm that sun looks so nice right now.

We had a little experience with a bee. Jess doesn't like bees. Neither do I. After we left the Olive mill, we took Justin on a short tour of Phoenix... Tempe town, ASU, downtown Phoenix, Scottsdale... and then headed back to Jessica's house. Later that evening we met up with a group of friends who I miss dearly at the old tortilla factory in downtown Scottsdale. It was great fun! I have some great pictures that were given to me from that night that for some reason I can't add into this post. I'll put them in their own post.

The next morning, Sunday, we were off and running early again. As if we hadn't had enough wine already, we thought the idea of wine tasting was a great idea. Part of this was my fascination with the whole concept of Arizona wineries (really?! Arizona has wineries!)

We headed about 1.5 hours up north and our first stop was Alcantara. It doesn't look like you're headed to much driving in...

but HOLY CRAP I was BLOWN AWAY by their wines. I would have never in this whole world expected their wines to be as good as they were.

We sat outside, tasted and sipped on wine, ate, and enjoyed the sun (a common theme)...

And a picture of Jessica and I- the vineyard is in the background.

Justin and I. Yes, I'm wearing a sweater. Give me a break, it's colder up north!

And a shot of the Arizona mountains....beautiful. That state has a special place in my heart for sure.


After Alcantara, we headed to Jerome to taste more wines. I wasn't as impressed with the wines there, especially for the price. If I'm paying $40-$60 a bottle, it better rock my socks. It didn't. Oh well. It was still fun.

A shot of my favorite boy.


Oooh, and a grainy i-phone photo of us!

And a picture of Jessica and I wine tasting.

A picture from behind a building looking out across the valley into Sedona. Gorgeous.

Justin taking a picture of the same. Pretty cool.

Headed home to Scottsdale from up north was the most beautiful sunset. I swear, nothing beats an Arizona sunset.

And one more. Once we returned home, we were in for a TREAT for dinner. We went to a brazilian steakhouse. Um. What? No, I seriously did. I have never been to one of these and I didn't really understand fully what I was in for. So, you guys, there are little men running all over with slabs of MEAT that they cut directly on to your plate WITHOUT STOPPING (well, assuming your little flipper sign is flipped to "go" which basically means MEAT! MEAT! MEAT! AND MORE MEAT!) It was insanity! Needless to say, Justin was in heaven. I liked the salad bar... and the experience was definitely interesting.

The next day, yours truly was in heaven at my FAVORITE. PITA! PITA! PITA! I love pita jungle. We got there after a tour of my old stomping grounds in west phoenix. Holy hell, how did I EVER live out there? It takes years off my life just driving out there once, how did I do that every day??

Justin and his first pita jungle experience. He was a fan (how could you not be!?) After we ate at Pita jungle we explored a bit more then headed to the airport (sad)... It was a quick weekend but oh so fun... so much good food, good wine, good friends... full of love, happiness, and of course, sun.

Bye Phoenix... we'll see you soon... and bye to you, too, Sun... please visit Seattle again before July preferably.... A GIANT thank you to Jessica for being the best hostess, tour guide and friend that weekend! It was SO much fun, can't wait to do it again!

No comments: